Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer has a corrupt file!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bravofan71

bravofan71

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

I have XP. I tried to reinstall Windows on my other computer,but this appeared with a black screen saying:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Every time I press a key,the Gateway logo appears and it goes back to saying the same thing! I tried F2 and F10,but it does the same thing. I tried turning off the computer manually,resetting the modem but nothing works!

If anyone has a solution please help me. Thanks..

http://ask-leo.com/i_dont_have_an_installa...what_...i_need_

This is where I got the"bright idea" from. Windows XP was already on my computer when I bought it. I was trying to install Windows XP again,because Windows Movie Maker wasn't on the computer anymore for some reason. P.S. I don't have a Windows CD.

I didn't receive a CD with my computer. Windows was pre-installed on it.

I've tried going to the Windows Advanced Options Menu,but none of the options work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hello,

Can you get in to safe mode with command prompt?
If you can, type C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe in to the command prompt and press return. This should allow you to run system restore to an earlier date.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 bravofan71

bravofan71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

Hello,

Can you get in to safe mode with command prompt?
If you can, type C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe in to the command prompt and press return. This should allow you to run system restore to an earlier date.

It won't even let me into Safe Mode! The only thing that happens is that the Gateway logo appears,and then the black screen with the corrupt file message. I'm so confused with this.

#4 victimized

victimized

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

The best thing you could do is get a CD to boot with it then.

#5 bravofan71

bravofan71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

The best thing you could do is get a CD to boot with it then.

Now will a Windows XP CD read on my computer? I inserted a music CD,but it didn't read it. I guess it would read a Windows XP CD. I guess you need Windows installed on your computer in order for anything to be read or able to restore my computer. If this makes sense,please let me know something. Thanks for your help. This is becoming very stressful!

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

There are four options I can think of at this stage.

1. Format the drive and do a clean install of the operating system.
2. Use a CD and use the recovery console to fix the problem.
3. Slave the hard drive in to another system and repair the file from a working operating system.
4. In theory it should be possible to boot in to Linux using a live CD and copying across an updated hal.dll

Let us know what you think.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

Take a look at this: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssinghaldll.htm

I personally recommend looking at step 7 first.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#8 bravofan71

bravofan71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

Take a look at this: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssinghaldll.htm

I personally recommend looking at step 7 first.

My computer didn't come with an original Windows XP CD. Windows XP was already installed on it when I ordered it. How can I get a CD for it? It's a Gateway computer,but I ordered it from Blue Hippo. Yes,I know they suck! lol My fiance tried to get them to mail her a CD a while back,but they said that they couldn't do it! What should I do?

#9 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'm assuming you don't want to pay $90+ on getting a new XP CD. If you have a CD burner available, I would recommend downloading a live-distro of Linux (such as Ubuntu) and burning it to a CD. After that you can boot into Linux and copy a good hal.dll onto your computer (as nigglesnush85 suggested)
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

1. Format the drive and do a clean install of the operating system.
2. Slave the hard drive in to another system and repair the file from a working operating system.
3. In theory it should be possible to boot in to Linux using a live CD and copying across an updated hal.dll

You can order a XP CD from shops or online.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 bravofan71

bravofan71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:54 PM

I'm assuming you don't want to pay $90+ on getting a new XP CD. If you have a CD burner available, I would recommend downloading a live-distro of Linux (such as Ubuntu) and burning it to a CD. After that you can boot into Linux and copy a good hal.dll onto your computer (as nigglesnush85 suggested)

Can I use a Windows XP CD from someone that has the same OS as me? If not,I guess I'll try the Linux operating system. Does it operate as good as Windows? The computer that I'm on right now burns CD's,so I can burn the Linux deal. Can I burn over a CD that has stuff on it already?

I know it's a lot of questions,but I really need this info. Thanks again..

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

You could borrow an XP CD from a friend.
You can only burn data to empty CDs unless they are rewritable (CD-RW)
Linux (Ubuntu) can be grabbed from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download it is a good operating system and has quite a large following.
Regards,

Alan.

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

Yes, you can borrow and use an XP cd that is the version as yours and use it to format and install XP on your system as long as you have the license for the XP that was installed on your computer. There should be a sticker on the outside of the case that will give that code. You should also be able to use that disk to do a repair of XP or possibly even run system file checker with it and that might replace that missing file.

In order to use the XP disk to do those things, you will first have to make sure the boot order in bios is set to boot from CD Drive first.

Since it is a Gateway computer, there should also be a way to access the recovery partition that will allow you to reset the computer to the condition it was in when you got it. I do not know what that way would be however (could be hitting F12 or ctrl and F12 or another combination of keys) and you might need recovery disks in order to do that. Did the computer come with any recovery disks or did you make any when you got the computer? If not, you might be able to get recovery disks directly from Gateway.

Edited by Stang777, 04 June 2009 - 08:07 PM.

#14 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

Heaven forbid but you might try ubuntu and decide to flick windows forever. Stranger things have happened. LOL
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users