Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Key Popped Off - No Idea How to Snap on?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dremits

dremits

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

I can't believe I'm having to ask this but the 'I' key popped off today and no matter how I try I can only seem to snap the top hinge in (which is why i'm able to type the I's in this post). I've never actually snapped a key in before on a laptop but I assumed you just line up and push. Nothing appears to have broken, as both the pad and the key have no damaged parts and there seems to be no loose plastic bits. I'm using an Acer Extensa 5230 laptop and I included some high res pictures (tried my best to get non blurry pictures but i'm crap at taking photos) of the key and the keyboard below.

Here is a link that shows one image of the keybaord and one of the underside of the actual key.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dremits

dremits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

I managed to seperate the white plastic hinge and, after much reluctancy, I removed one of the other keys to see how the white hinge fitted onto the board and it turned out that the tiny, tiny hooks in the I hinge were missing! Looks like i'll have to find a hinge or replacement key. God knows where i'll find one for this acer laptop! Is there anyone who can suggest where I can get spare keys from?

Edited by dremits, 04 June 2009 - 04:27 PM.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:16 PM

37 bucks on e-bay plus shipping.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 dremits

dremits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:25 AM

Ah yes I have now resigned to the fact I willl have to buy a new keyboard! Thanks for the link.

#5 dremits

dremits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:39 AM

Ok I found a service manual and it seems straight forward but i've never fixed something like this before so what are the precautions I need to take before opening it up and how easy is it to replace a laptop keyboard?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

Remove the battery and be very careful removing and replacing the ribbon cable

I'm about ready to go out the door so I can;t look it up, but one of the Ebay Stores is named Replace A Key
They have laptop replacement keys
They have them for Dell and HP for sure, I've bought some, not sure about Acer
You get the key, hinge and the rubber membrane for 8 bucks

Edited by garmanma, 05 June 2009 - 08:39 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 dremits

dremits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the response. I'm afraid that the hinge is damaged and I suspect the actual metal hook on the keyboard is damaged too so I've had too purchase a replacement keyboard. I had a go at taking of the middle cover and got one side off but it took some force so I didn't continue because I am seriously worried of doing something wrong. I really don't want to pay someone a lot of money to fix it if I can fix it myself so I would appreciate it if anyone could give some help regarding my model as the internet holds nothing as far as I can see for my model.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

If its like most acer laptops I have worked on. The cover at the top of the keyboard is held on my plastic clips (some have one screw in each part that goes over the hinge [Acer Aspire 1]) Remove this cover (you will have to open the lid so the screen lays almost flat) taking with it the plastic power button and a few others. Underneath this cover there is usually two screws located at the top edge of the keyboard. Remove these. Next using a Number 0 flathead screw driver or jewelers screw driver there will be small clips around the ege of the keyboard that need to be pushed back towards the edge of the case to allow the keyboard to pop up. Do not lift the keyboard all the way out yet. You will need to remove the ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard. These are held on with a retaining clip Usually gray in color that clamps down on top of the ribbon cable. These generally come off in one of two ways. They slide out towards the cable ( not all the way out just a little to relase the tension on the cable). Or the will rotate up. I find the best tool to use is a 90 DEG hook tool found in most hook tool sets. You can use a small screw driver if you don't have a set of hook tools. After the clip is released the cable should slide out. There isnt much holding them in there but don't try and remove the cable without unlatching the clip. Make sure when connecting the new one that the cable is properly centered and all the way in the plug socket. There should be a line on either side that will line it up, then secure the retainer. As long as the calbe is firmly in the socket all the way you shouldnt have any problems. You won't think its secure but it will work when you turn on the laptop. You should power it up before securing the keyboard down to make sure the plug is inserted correctly.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 dremits

dremits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. That will undoubtedly come in useful.

#10 joe smith 3rd

joe smith 3rd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:30 AM

Here you go, i just googled and here is a site that sells laptop keys replacement, and they sell the keys you need, here is a direct link to the item. good luck. :thumbsup:

http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/servl...30G-5330/Detail

Edited by joe smith 3rd, 25 May 2010 - 12:30 AM.

#11 dremits

dremits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:45 AM

Thanks very much but in the end it turned out the whole 'clip' was broken and required a new keyboard. (I shamefully got someone out to fix it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users