Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't stop pop up boxes from old programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

I'm having trouble with my laptop and old programs. It's an HP running Vista. When it turns on, I have about 6 pop up boxes stating, "C:/Program Files Verizon; Blackberry;.....". It names old programs that I've uninstalled in the past. I can't figure out how to completely uninstall these programs so I have a faster boot up.
Thanks

Edited by Dborns, 04 June 2009 - 03:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hello,

You can disable items from starting up with windows. If you click the start ball/orb and type msconfig then enter you will see a new window. Click on the startup tab and remove the tick next to the startup items you want to disable and click apply.

If you need help deciding what entry is what, post a list of the entries you are not sure about and we will be able to explain what they are.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for your reply. I checked the msconfig and none of the error boxes that come up are on it. They are programs for Verizon Wireless Rhapsody, Blackberry software, etc... The message basically says that the program cannot be found and that I possibly typed it incorrectly. Next time they come up, I'll have to write the whole message down and post it here. I've looked up any of the leftover software in regedit32, and deleted a few things, but nothing changed and I really don't know what I'm doing so I didn't want to mess something up.
Thanks again for any help.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

Can you post a list of the entries listed in the msconfig startup page?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hello
Thanks for your fast reply. Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back but my laptop has been at work and I haven't been on it for the last few days. I will be back to it tomorrow and will send you the info you requested.
Dylan

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

This is reffering to malware, but it's the same process

Its not unusual to receive such an error after using specialized fix tools.

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users