Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Anyone Help Me wiht Disk Space Ques?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 balzzy

balzzy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:06 AM

Hi,

I have a sony laptop which has 2 drives or at least is partioned into C and D. I'm about out of space on C and getting low disk space warnings, but have plenty on D.

Can anyone help a novice by suggesting the best wway to move programs/files from C to D and get me the space I need to avoid problems. THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:06 AM

Sony is one of a few manufacturers that set up their computers hard drives with a partition making one a virtual drive. You do not really have two hard drives.

You need to move the partition as you are running out of space on one and have an abundance of space on the other.

Partition Magic, if you have it, is one of several aps that can do that for you. There may be some freeware out there that can do it too - check and see.

#3 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:48 AM

Enthusiast is right; there is no cheap or easy way to re-partition or move apps.

Do you keep a lot of data files in your My Documents folder? If it is the case that the amount of space used by My Documents alone is a majority of the reason you are out of space on C: then you may wish to move the location of your My Documents folder to D: like so: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;EN-US;q310147

If your principal data dump is somewhere other than My Documents but it is on C: then just move it to D:

If it's less a data issue and more an applications one then I suggest this. If you are running out of space on C: but have plenty on D: AND you have the installation discs or files for some of your applications that are installed to C: I would recommend uninstalling them from C: and reinstalling them to D:. And in the future install any apps to D:.

Hope some of that helps. Everything Enthusiast says stands by the way. These are just some cheap DIY solutions you may wish to consider.

#4 balzzy

balzzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:45 AM

Thanks very much for your help..I'm a new member and I am so impressed that people are willing to help..Thanks again!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

Here's a freeware partition manager I found on Download.com.

Use at your own risk. I have never used this product but have successfully used Partition Magic several times in the past.

http://www.download.com/SwissKnife/3000-22...tml?tag=lst-0-9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users