Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Expression Web

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scruffbag

scruffbag

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi All,

I am using Expression Web to upload web sites via HTTP on a shared hosting platform. A new site that I have just published, uploads OK but I get the following message towards the end of completion in upload.

"The server could not complete your request. Contact your Internet Service Provider or Web server administrator to make sure that the server has the FrontPage server extensions or SharePoint sevices installed.

For more specific information, Click the details button."

However, clicking the details button gives no further information. Front Page Server Extensions are installed and the site seems totally operational and without problems.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone know what's causing the message to display?

Oh, further to this if I upload a single file using the arrows between the local site window and the remote site window I don't get the error message. If I use the "Publish" button located below the remote site window I do!!

Regards
Derek Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

Why don't you try a FTP client, like Filezilla?

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

Why don't you try a FTP client, like Filezilla?

Yeah, that fixes it, doesn't it. :thumbsup: Why use another program when Expression works just fine?

@scruffbag; I have not heard of anyone having that problem. Just for clarification, the Front Page Server Extensions are installed on the server? And are you sure they in use? This article may help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843345

#4 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

Yeah, that fixes it, doesn't it. :thumbsup: Why use another program when Expression works just fine?

I was hinting that if a FTP client worked, it's probably something wrong with Expression Web. If the FTP client didn't work, it's probably something wrong with the server. For all you know, Expression Web could have a problem.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

Don't hint. There is no way anybody can possibly guess what you are getting at, and it doesn't help. As you can tell, I automatically assumed you were one of the wannabes whose entire technical knowledge consists of of throwing useless suggestions and hoping something sticks.

Thanks.

#6 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sidorak95, I can FTP the site with Expression Web, getting the site uploaded isn't the problem.

Groovicus, FP Extensions are installed and the site does upload via HTTP it's just the annoying message that is bugging me. I suppose many would say "site uploads so why bother with the message", which I can understand, but why does it appear!

Anyhow, I think I have fixed it, or at least it's gone away! While the site looked fine there are a couple of links to .pdf files which weren't working. On checking, the associated .pdf files had not uploaded, why I don't know, except to say that they were contained in a sub folder of a sub folder. I uploaded them as single files using the arrows between panes, which completed successfully, so now all files are successfully uploaded. Have altered a couple of files just to check and they now upload OK using the publish button without producing an error message. Perhaps the error message was refering to the .pdf files that had not uploaded.

All seems to be working properly now but why I don't know. Or should I say why it didn't work properly in the first place I don't know!!

Once again thanks to you both for showing an interest.

Regards
Derek Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users