Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD5000D032 External HD Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thebster

Thebster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hello, so I've had a Western Digital MyBook (WD5000D032) external drive that I've used to backup files for some time. Although it worked perfectly fine initially, over time I noticed issues crop up where it would have problems being recognized, necessitating that I unplug and replug it back in until it worked. I just assumed things wouldn't get worse, which was clearly a bad assumption to make. Now, I find that although I can connect it, the computer no longer recognizes it as containing any data files.

When looking at its properties, it shows up as the following, with a clearly malformed name:
Posted Image

In Disk Management, although it was given a drive letter (G:), its other attributes are simply blank:
Posted Image

I've also tried running the Data Lifeguard tool that Western Digital offers itself, with no luck, initially it failed its tests due to some kind of cable read error, so I replugged it in and, for example, when running the Extended Test (which should take at least SOME time) passes it instantaneously.
Posted Image

So clearly, for whatever reason, it no longer has an identifiable boot sector, making recovery kind of difficult. I've searched around the internet, and at this point it appears that if I can't resolve this through some software, I'll have to try and extract the hard disk from its casing and plug it in as an internal drive and see if it works properly then. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

Remove the drive from the case...eliminate something from the equation.

Louis

#3 Thebster

Thebster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

Things aren't looking too good, I removed it from its case (the drive itself is a WD5000AAKS) and the same problems persisted.

GetDataBack is ineffectual, so I decided to see if SpinRite or HDD Regenerator will help. However, HDD Regenerator seems as though it will literally take ages to finish, and I'm not even sure if it's working at all based on the following screen:
Posted Image

I can't tell if it detects all the bad sectors first, then tries to recover them, or it recovers them as it detects them, in which case it's not making any difference at all. If it's the latter case, then I'll just cancel it and see how SpinRite does.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, I realize this is probably a lost cause but I'll try to do whatever I can (short of getting professional data recovery, I got a price quote and they wanted $590, ontop of shipping charges).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

I have GetDataBack...I would suspect that any drive which it can't recover data from...is in big trouble.

I'd run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic (long test) on the drive.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en

FWIW: Recovery software normally doesn't check for bad sectors, it just recovers whatever is readable. If it cannot read, it cannot recover.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users