Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Or video Card Problem?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 -CM

-CM

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:21 AM

Im not sure what is causing this I dont have another video card or another spare monitor just hanging around for me to test this and was hoping By this picture you could tell me if it was a video card or a monitor problem.
Posted Image

Thanks in advance
-CM

PS. I Hope its just a monitor problem lol...

Edited by -CM, 30 June 2005 - 03:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:57 AM

Hi -CM

What's that a gif of?

What's the make and model of the monitor and video card you have?

Edited by Rimmer, 30 June 2005 - 04:57 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 -CM

-CM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:51 AM

That was a prnt screen of a gradient i did in photo shop to show how the gradient is looking on my monitor Im not sure if it shows you exactly how i see it but its supposed to be a smooth gradient not all blocky like it is on that pic (on my screen at least)
My monitor well Its a gemstar about 5 years old the sticker on the back is so warn out I cant Even read what it says.

Video card is a ati 9700pro (tyan)

Even the gradients on this forum are not smooth looking to me.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:14 AM

What are the display settings that the picture was made under? Were they at least 16 bit color?

Also, 5 years old isn't necessarily that bad but if it is/was a no-name cheap monitor then it may have some dot pixel spacing issues that can't be overcome no matter how good your card and display rate. It would be very beneficial if you could bring another "known good" monitor over to compare with.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:33 PM

Hmm.. It looks like a gradient with repeated coloured bands across it to me. At first I was going to say its probably the screen but when I think about it printscreen cannot be affected in any way by the display defects because it is a copy of video memory. This effect is not due to your monitor.

I'd be very suprised if it was due to your graphics card either - have a play around with the resolution and bit depth settings, but if that has no effect then it must be your card.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 -CM

-CM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:10 AM

Settings where 1024x768x32 I brought my comp to my buddies house and threw it on his monitor and it looked fine. So I just ordered a 21inch sony trintron :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help...
ps.when i put it at 1024x768x16 it looked even worse.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:19 AM

So much for my logic! :thumbsup:

Glad you identified the problem. :flowers:

#8 -CM

-CM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:43 AM

Yea me too I was just glad I didnt have to shell out 400usd for a new vid card only 235 for the new monitor lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users