Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus PIII PC Freeze

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:36 AM

Hi there

I have a major problem, I have a board that will not boot , It was OK for a week or two , this morning I put the PC on , it froze with the keyboard, I purchased a new keyboard and still the same , it doesnt want to boot to windows either , I tried changing the CPU , now it won't let me into the bios. I even cleared C-MOS and still nothing, Could it be that I scraped the board while changing the CPU, but even it occured before I changed the CPU, please help

System Specs

ASUS CUV4X PIII Motherboard
20 GB HDD
CD RW Drive
Windows XP Professional
800 Mhz CPU

Regards

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

If you are handy, you could take the motherboard out and test it again. I mean REALLY handy.

Taking apart your computer can either fix it or make matters worse.

If you are unsure of what you are doing (or overconfident) it could do you serious damage due to electrical shock.

I like to lay the MB on a piece of wood or cardboard. The power supply is all you really need besides the MB, especially if the video is onboard. (if it's not onboard, you'll need a good video card)

Remove all memory modules and try booting up with 1 stick at a time. The manual should tell you what pins to short in order to turn on the MB.

Swap out your CPUs as well. Make sure all of their pins and/or contacts are in good shape.

Did I understand you to say that you just picked this board up a couple of weeks ago? If so, if could have been on its way out before you received it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

DR

#3 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

HI , could be , I corrected the failed BIOS flash and it was behaving itself for a few days , and yes I have tried it since I know about PC's and customisation. When I unplug the keyboard , it says no keyboard error and It doesn't see the USB keyboard either. Both are working.I have a gigabyte board with the same problem. the Gigabyte board doesn't say the keyboard isn't there.

Regards

Roger

#4 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hi , I have tried everything , being a PC techinician and all. when I unplug the keyboard . It says its unpluged When I got it i fixed the bios as it was flashed incorrectly. It was fine for a 3 weeks. I have a gigabyte board with the same problem. Both keyboards are working on other machines. I have tried the CPU , it seems its locking up with the CPU. I have enough thermal paste on it. I have tried exaclty what you have said.

Please help

Regards

Roger

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

I would have tried a reliable power supply unit...before assuming that it was any other hardware component at fault.

Louis

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

You need to verify that any (or all) of the components you are using are good. The only way to really do that is to install the components (one at a time) into another machine.

Another thought. Are you sure the CPU is supported?

DR

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

You did unplug the unit before changing the CPU ?

Inspect the motherboard for bulging/leaking, or displaced capacitors.

If you have a keyboard plugged in & get a "no KB" error either the HB is bad, but you said you bought a new one, the KB PS\2 port has failed, the southbridge chipset has failed, or your reflashed bios has become corrupt.

As a kind of last resort try a new CMOS battery.

Other then that, if you can't get by the No KB error the motherboard is useless.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users