Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dubs1

dubs1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

Hi all, names john and i have a dell optiplex gx 400 and was wonderin if any one new how to do an install of xp home after wiping the system clean. do i have to make a partition and if so, how would i go about it. a piont toward a tutorial would be the ultimate blessing....and thanks to anyone who can help me out. god bless!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

Turn the unit on and put the XP disk in the drive.
Leave the disk in the drive and restart the unit,
Watch the screen for a message that says "Press any key to boot from CD,
Press a key on the keyboard,
Wait while it goes through starting from the disk,
[You may have to press F8 during startup to accept the EULA]
When you get to the screen with the box that shows the current version of XP installed press "D" on the keyboard,
Press "Enter"
Press "L"
You now should have a screen asking what file system you want to format to, NTFS should be selected by default,
Press enter,
The disk will be formatted and the installation will automatically begin when the format is finished,
During the installation the computer will restart DO NOT press a key to boot from the CD again !
At that point the unit will boot from the hard drive and continue the installation.
After awhile you will be asked to "name" your computer,
I suggest naming it the same as the main user ID.
[Example, I have an XP unit named "testbox" the user name is also "testbox"
You will be asked if you want to turn on automatic updates, select NO or Not now,
You will be asked if you want to setup a network connection, click on skip,
You will be asked to enter a user name and password,
Enter the same name you used for the unit ,
Only enter a password if you want to have to log on every time XP starts,
[If you have more then one user you can enter passwords later]
Follow the prompts to finish.
When you get to the desktop the only icon showing will be the recycle bin
Click on the "Tour XP balloon [or icon in the taskbar by the clock] and click "Cancel"
Go to Start>Control Panel,
Double click "Taskbar and Start Menu"
Click on the "Start Menu" tab
Put a dot in the circle by "Classic Start Menu"
[That will put the icons on the desktop]
Click OK
Double click on "Folder Options"
Click on the "View" tab
Go down the list until you find "Show hidden files and folders"
[for future use]
put a dot in the circle by it
Click OK
Close the Control Panel
Double click on "My Computer"
Right click on the "C:" drive
Left click on "Properties"
Click on the "Tools" tab
Click on "Defragment Now"
Defrag the drive
When you are done start installing your other programs and applications
[Defrag again when finished]
When they are installed if you have the "activate XP" notice do the activation,
When you have gotten this far either go to Windows Update and do the updates or go to "My Computer" and right click on it
Left click on "Properties"
When the box opens click on the "Automatic Updates" tab
Put a dot in the circle next to "Automaic [Recommended]
Click OK.
In order for the Automatic Updates to begin right away turn the unit completely off then restart it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:40 PM

So there's no point where you have to put a registration key code thing? Because I definitely would have no clue on what to do about that.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,987 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:58 PM

Hello there,

I've been gathering information about reinstallation myself as I'm getting ready to change my hard-drive.

Dell has been installing a recovery partition since at least 2004. Check to see if you have one. If you do have one, you could use it to reinstall your system. The computer would be back to the way it was when you bought it.

If you want to use the disks, then I don't think you should create partitions as I think this would remove the recovery partition. I'm not sure of that though not having done it.

Here is a link to reinstalling the drivers for your computer: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...mp;doclang=en#1

Here is Dell's guide to restoring Windows with the Recovery partition: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...mp;docid=336966

Here is Dell's guide to reinstalling the OS: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...mp;docid=339949

If you can't boot to the CD, then here is the guide to how to begin the setup program: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

Here is a link to a site that fills in some of the blanks that DELL left out (Thank you Maurice Naggar) http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

When you ordered your computer, did you have them send the reinstallation disks? If not, you should contact Dell to get them. You should use the DELL reinstallation disk for the OS as it is keyed to the BIOS (thanks ddeerrf) and because there are special codes that DELL entered that would be eliminated if you used a retail XP installation disc. Using the latter would create problems when re-authenticating your system. You should also have discs containing the drivers and the other software that was installed on the machine when you bought it.

Note: I'm editing your title to "reinstalling windows". That is rather different from "programming" and fits your question much better.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edit to add answer to this question:

So there's no point where you have to put a registration key code thing

If you reinstall windows, you have to enter the product key which is used for reactivation purposes. That number should be on the side of your disk tower if you have a desktop. Not sure where it is on a laptop. If you use the recovery partition, the key is already entered. However, you still need to reactivate windows.

~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 June 2009 - 12:06 AM.
Correct one link and add another for system recovery. ~ OB

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

Ah, I found the product key on the bottom of my laptop. So I use that to reactivate Windows, correct?

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,987 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:55 AM

At some point during the installation, you need to input the product, or license, key.

Activation is a bit different. I'd wait until the installation was completed and you have your security programs installed before activating which requires live internet connection.

Activation won't work if the proper license key has not been entered.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users