Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this videocard be compatible with my pc?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frogg

frogg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

Hey, I wanted to install a new PCI video card in my old gateway pc running XP SP3.
I was looking through the gateway site and the most information I could find about my computer was this: http://support.gateway.com/s/CASES/3501234/3501234nv.shtml. the specs link says it came with an existing "AGP Card, 3/4 length"
A friend recomended this videocard at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130188 but I wanted to check around and see if that would be compatible with my computer and motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

You posted a link to a PCI video card but the Gateway site says, "AGP Card, 3/4 length" .

That would lead me to think you have a AGP slot
Open the computer & see if the top add-in card slot is a bit different then the others & maybe brown instead of white.
If so you have a AGP video card slot.

Because of the "3/4 length" you are going to be limited to short video cards.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

You could use that card if you have an available PCI slot (chances are likely you do). But you should go with an AGP card since its faster and performs better. You will be limited by the speed of your AGP slot (either 4x or 8x). AGP is a slowly dying technology and most newer cards operate on PCI-E.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 June 2009 - 07:20 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users