Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Freezes on Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ommas

ommas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hi, this is my first post, so hopefully I'm following the rules of the BleepingComputer community!

Lately (over the past week or two) my PC is freezing on startup. Sometimes it gets past where we choose a user and freezes at the desktop when the startups are loading, sometimes it doesn't get that far. It doesn't matter which of the two users we pick, however.

The odd thing is that as long as we keep moving the mouse (such as doing circles), the PC seems to startup fine and we move on without any problems once the PC is fully booted, the hard drive has stopped spinning, all the system tray items have loaded, etc.

I don't think it is malware issue, so I didn't post a hijack this log in the appropriate forum, but I have recently run CCleaner and done a defrag. (My AVG antivirus was on during the defrag since I just learned today that it should be off. Next time, I'll know. But again, I don't think this is the problem.)

Event viewer has a lot of W32Time, Service Control Manager and atapi errors under the System section. But I don't know what to do with those messages to investigate further.

Any suggestions are appreciated! For now, we'll keep moving the mouse!
- Ommas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

Check the times on the errors in the Event Viewer. Are there any errors that occur at the time you experience these boot problems?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ommas

ommas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

Well, I have lots of atapi errors in the Event Viewer from today but it never froze. They seem to be an error that says "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period."

Based on the time of the last freeze, I would guess it's the W32Time...but it's a guess.

Since it freezes and then I am forced to reboot by holding in the power button on the tower, is there an event to look for the would the first part of the new boot process so that I can look for that and then focus on the errors that are immediately before it?

Or I can try to reproduce the freeze and note the time, I suppose...
- Ommas

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:48 PM

With regards to this error:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

You might want to read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154690

In almost all cases, these messages are being posted due to hardware problems with either the controller or, more likely, a device that is attached to the controller in question. The hardware problems can be associated with poor cabling, incorrect termination or transfer rate settings, lazy or slow device responses to relinquish the SCSI bus, a faulty device, or, in very rare cases, a poorly written device driver.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users