Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDTV through S-Video

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stryke297

stryke297

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

I'm running a dual screen setup. I have my monitor, which works fine. Then I have a Widescreen Emerson Model LC195EM82, which is connected through an S-video cable. The resolution for the HDTV is 800x600 to 1024x768 with a hertz of 20. All of these options are too small. The display resolution should probably be 1200x900 minimum with a hertz of 50. I opened up the Nvidia control panel and tried to make a custom screen resolution as the options above are 2 of several listed, to make a custom resolution you have to first test the resolution, I click the test button, nothing happens, the display settings revert, and I get a message stating "test failed." My graphics card, which is a Geforce 880 GTX, appears to be running fine, and my HDTV does not have any drivers that I know of to install on my computer. I would like support with this issue as I would like to just use my wide screen HDTV as my primary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

I wouldn't really recommend the s-video cable. Seeing as s-video is an analog signal and not digital its not going to display the picture in any kind of good quality no matter what resolution. Simply put its not the ideal connection for your HDTV. Your best bet would be to purchase a card that has the capability to output in HDMI, DVI, or VGA. The price for a card is really not that much and if you want HD quality then a nice card is necessary. I don't know what kind of port you are running but it possibly a VGA port. Newegg normally has great deals on video card that meet your budget here.

On a side note the quality for connections on a TV is this (from lowest to highest):
Coaxial (audio and video on same wire)
Composite (audio and video is separated with 3 different cables)
S-video (just video colors seperated even more with no audio)
Component
(Just video where it separates the video colors even more)
VGA (Most HDTVs are set up to do this from a computer. Video only)
DVI (only Video)
HDMI
(also incorporates audio in Dolby Digital on the same plug)

A link to newegg for the cables.

Good Luck,
uByte

#3 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

uByte,
thanks for the response. I did not realize that an S-video cable had such low quality, someone told me today that S-video can't carry a higher resolution than 640x480 or something similar to that. My graphics card does support 2 DVI components. I just had several S-video cables and I was trying to find a use for them. I suppose I am going to need to find a cable that goes component/composite to DVI.

Also, what ways is it possible for me to connect my 360 to my computer having the video on the 360 going into the PC as an input?

#4 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

what you would need is a tuner card that accepts Composite connection in. I found one but here but the connection on your motherboard might not be right. What kind of computer do you have? That was the only one that I found that wasn't to expensive. I don't believe it has HD quality but it should allow you to play your xbox on your computer.

uByte

#5 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

Sorry for the long response, I have a P5N-E(motherboard) with a Nvidia 8800 GTX.

#6 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

That part should work for what you want to do.

uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users