Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

administrator title

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TaMesha

TaMesha

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

Hi it's TaMesha,
I received my computer through a church so I don't have administrative access.When I try to change,remove or delete anything I get the same old message.I am a some what new computer user so I'm still learning things.My computer is very slow,but it won't let me do anything.It won't even let me download anti viruses.Help please.Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

Well, you need to give your account admin access.
I would suggest going into safe mode (by restarting and tapping F8 on bootup) , selecting admin at the login screen, go to control panel, user accounts, and then change the settings for your current account.

#3 TaMesha

TaMesha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:07 AM

Hey trashcan7!Thanks for your input I'll try that and get back to you.Just now learning about my control panel.Told you I was new.

#4 TaMesha

TaMesha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:42 AM

Hey trashcan7,It's TaMesha Again?I did what you told me to do but I got the" message system could not log you on.Make sure your user name and domain are correct then type password again."What I did when they asked for my user name I type in administrator and typed in my password.This is what my bootup screen has:1)Safe Mode 2)safe mode with networking 3)safe mode with command prompt 4)enable boot logging 5)enable vca mode 6)last known good configuration 7)directory service restore mode 8)debugging mode 9) boot normally.I tried the first 5 using administrator for my user name and my password and kept getting the message above.If I go to start, then control panel,then user accounts, I still get the same message.Please tell me what I am doing wrong.Thanks for your time.

Edited by TaMesha, 06 June 2009 - 02:44 AM.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:28 AM

The default password for Administrator is no password (blank). Try that.

It sounds like when you got it, they had set up some user account that does not have Administrator privileges and that is what you are using to login? A limited use account will not be able to do a lot of things and (if you are like me) you will get frustrated fast.

If you can't get logged in as Administrator to change your account or create a new one, I hope someone at the church knows the Administrator password. If they changed it and don't know what it is, that can be a headache sometimes. If it is your computer, there is no reason for them not to tell you what it is - if they even know.

Once you get it sorted out, you should change your login account to be like an Administrator account or create a new one and leave the "real" Administrator account alone and use it for emergencies - not just login as Administrator all the time. Since you now own it, consider changing the Administrator password back to none because that is what people that try to help you are going to hope it is - empty.

If you assign or keep a password to the Administrator account, you better take some measures not to forget it, or you will be back here later with a "I changed my Administrator password and can't remember what it is" subject line for a future post. :thumbsup: Since it should be an account you rarely use, remembering it in your head may not be sufficient (hint).

While you are talking to them, see if they have the original XP installation CD - this may come in handy for later and you can't just "make" one from what you have. Get all the CDs they might have that should go with the computer, but the XP installation CD is important if your ever can't boot on your hard disk. I would really hound them for this if they don't seem to interested in producing it.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 TaMesha

TaMesha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

Hey Jose!Got your suggestion, do I type administrator in the user name upon logging in or do I shut down the computer go into safe mode and log in?What do I type in the user name?And then your'e asking me to type in no password for the pass word?The church received the computer as a donation and all that was donated was the PC,monitor,key board and mouse.I am to the point where I'm thinking about just getting me a new computer.Any suggestions on that?Thanks!Will a laptop be better?

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

It would be from a regular login, user name: Administrator password, just hit Enter.

If you can get logged in you can change YOUR account to be an Administrator.

Maybe someone you know can help you decide if your hardware is good for your purposes.

I am not the person to recommend hardware - too many variables in the equation.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users