Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell computer will not read reinstalled harddrive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TechQuest7

TechQuest7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:04 PM

Hello I can't get my computer to read my reinstalled hardrive withe apropriate setup program and jumper settings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:37 AM

Ok, we'll need some info to help you...
What kind of hard drive is it? (make/model)
What model of Dell PC is it?(operating system?)
What was the apropriate setup program?
How did you place the jumpers?

Also give us a little background - why was the hard drive re-installed?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:48 AM

Check the cables, the number of times I've disconnected then reconnected hdd's to find them not working only to discover I'd forgot the power cable or IDE/SATA connector was loose........

#4 TechQuest7

TechQuest7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

Ok, we'll need some info to help you...
What kind of hard drive is it? (make/model)
What model of Dell PC is it?(operating system?)
What was the apropriate setup program?
How did you place the jumpers?

Also give us a little background - why was the hard drive re-installed?

answer 1 Seagate St320413a,answer 2 Dell Dimension L933r with Win2K,answer3
Seagate installation program for the make and model(Disc wizard for Windows),answer 4 : [:] : : = slave and I've actualy tried all positions,answer 5 Win2k was hanging at loading personal settings and I was locked out of my computer so I tried to get in by using my good computer and installing the drive as a second harddrive.Only I used the CDROM connector because I could not find any other place to install it. It did not work even with the apropriate installation program.So I returned it to the original computer and now it does not connect at all.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:54 AM

You should not need to use an installation program unless you were re-partitioning or reformatting the drive.
What operating system is your 'good computer' - there may have been an issue recognising NTFS partitions with a FAT system.
According to this document - http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/iguide...a/u5isheeta.pdf

-your jumper setting :[:]::[power] is Cable Select.
You can use Cable Select if you have an 80 wire IDE cable (usually different coloured connectors) and plug it into the black connector to be the Master drive.

The first step is to get the drive recognised in the BIOS. Connect the drive then hit the Del key to enter the 'System Setup' program. Click on Advanced>IDE configuration and check that your hard drive is detected. If it is not detected then you need to recheck the jumper setings and the cable connections. If it is still not detected after trying a different cable, different IDE ports and all sensible jumper settings then you must conclude your hard drive is damaged and needs replacement.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users