Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus A8n-sli deluxe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bklyn1028

bklyn1028

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

I was trying to get a wireless lan card installed on an ASUS A8N-sli deluxe that has been working for a couple of years and now it won't post, and all I did was set bios to default....I took the 6800 gt vid card out, and put it in another xp puter (gigabyte board that works) and nothing...I took the 6800 gt from the gigabyte board and put it in the asus brd, and nothing....so...seems the vid card won't work, or the asus board....that's strange.... also took the HD out of the asus..and hooked it up to a vista puter, and it is fine....it's there with all files....and all i did was put bios to default
anyone else go thru this? and i took the cmos battery out with the psu unplugged

Edited by bklyn1028, 03 June 2009 - 01:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

If you tried the video card in 2 different computers & it didn't work I would have to accept that the video card is bad.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 bklyn1028

bklyn1028
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

If you tried the video card in 2 different computers & it didn't work I would have to accept that the video card is bad.

What I thought, so i presume it's a bad mb and bad vid card

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:48 PM

Let's uncomplicate this.

you had a video card on the Asus that didn't work
You tried the video card on a Gigabyte & it didn't work
You then put the same video card back on the Asus board , where it still doesn't work

So you have arrived at the conclusion that the Asus board & video card are bad ?

Try a known good card on the Asus board
If it still doesn't work try a different power supply
Yry removing everything that isn't neccessary to make it boot.

Because a motherboard won't boot with a video card that is bad doesn't automatically mean the motherboard is bad.

From what I'm reading, using your logic, BOTH motherboards are bad since a bad video card wouldn't work on either.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 bklyn1028

bklyn1028
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

Let's uncomplicate this.

you had a video card on the Asus that didn't work
You tried the video card on a Gigabyte & it didn't work
You then put the same video card back on the Asus board , where it still doesn't work

So you have arrived at the conclusion that the Asus board & video card are bad ?

Try a known good card on the Asus board
If it still doesn't work try a different power supply
Yry removing everything that isn't neccessary to make it boot.

Because a motherboard won't boot with a video card that is bad doesn't automatically mean the motherboard is bad.

From what I'm reading, using your logic, BOTH motherboards are bad since a bad video card wouldn't work on either.

Ok,
let me try to uncomplicate if i may.....asus worked fine, couldn't get wireless card to work, so set bios at default...no more post, no beeps nothing. Took out HD..put in vista machine, it's fine....took out asus 6800 gt and put it in gigabyte board (which boots fine) and gigabyte wouldn't boot...took gigabyte 6800gt (used to have an sli rig with 2..6800gt's and split em between 2 xp computers for 2 grandsons) and put it in ASUS board and wouldn't boot. So, it appears the asus won't boot with either card...And, asus 6800 gt won't boot in either machine, so it appears that both card and mb are fried...is there anything i'm missing?...anything else i can do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users