Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Possessed Video" on my PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Romanticpoet

Romanticpoet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:23 PM

It started out just after a re-install of XP; I never connect before my firewall & the current Win-SP is installed. I am religous; almost; about my security setup, I fully understand Windows can be infected in under 3 minutes online if it is not protected.
Shortly after I connected; I found a picture I liked and decided to save it to my "Pictures" folder; this image was a .jpeg, but WinXP is wanting to save the image as a .bmp; and I have NO use for bitmap imaging. I do not like the format at all. If this wasn't bad enough; the controls for "visually impaired" reading have been activated, yet show as set "normal" when I try to re-set them. This is all a very strange happening. My scans (spy-adware-anti-virus) all show my machine as clean as can be........ Does anyone have any info about the problem; or has my PC entered the "Cybernet-Twighlight Zone???????" :thumbsup: :P :) :) :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :)

Edited by Romanticpoet, 29 June 2005 - 09:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:59 AM

Saving the picture... did you try a "right click save as"? And did it simply default to .bmp but could it have also had the option to save it as a .jpg etc. ?

Are you sure the settings are for visually impaired or is the display size just smallish making everything seem larger? In addition to the Display properties did you check in on the Accessibility Options in the Control Panel to see if they were toggled on?

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:35 PM

Id also like to point out that a windows machine can be infected in 3 minutes, but thats if you use ie and click on every single ad you find and download weatherbug.

However, theres no hackers out there constantly scanning ports and newly formatted computer for firewall or virus protection. And if they find an exploit they immediately begin attacking your computer. It doesnt work like, your safe for at least a few hours of no protection.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:47 PM

Id also like to point out that a windows machine can be infected in 3 minutes, but thats if you use ie and click on every single ad you find and download weatherbug.

However, theres no hackers out there constantly scanning ports and newly formatted computer for firewall or virus protection. And if they find an exploit they immediately begin attacking your computer. It doesnt work like, your safe for at least a few hours of no protection.

:thumbsup: It is in the best interest of everyone to have thier firewall up and running at all times. There is more to a computer being infected. Besides click ads and weatherbug.

Just my 2cents
Posted Image

#5 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:57 PM

Well I have to disagree with this statement you have here. There is a lot of zombified computers out there that do constant scans looking for "unprotected" computers. A "Hacker" (as you call them) does not have to be sitting behind the screen to attack an unprotected computer all he has to have is an army of zombified computers to do the hard work for him. And believe me this does not take a couple hours it can happen in a matter of minutes if your IP range is getting scanned. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users