Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Release Date Announced - 22nd October

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

Windows 7, the next major release of the world's most popular operating system, will be officially available to the public on 22 October.

Microsoft is hoping it can avoid the negative press that surrounded the launch of Vista, the last major Windows release, almost three years ago.

Windows 7 has been designed to be compatible with Vista so users do not have to invest in new hardware.

Customers who buy a new PC with Vista will be offered upgrades to Windows 7.

Quoted Story - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8081003.stm

Looks like Microsoft rushed it through a bit quicker than was anticipated, if I remember right originally it was forecast for the 1st Quarter of 2010, then a few weeks ago it was forecast to come out around the Holiday Season (USA) which is after or around Thanksgiving I think? (last week in November) and now it is out a month earlier than estimated a few weeks ago.

I haven't tried it myself so don't know what it is like other than what I have heard, I might buy it around or after Christmas and upgrade the Vista system on my Laptop, would help the Start-Up/Shutdown sequence on it takes quite a while for my tastes, about 45 seconds start-up (before logging in) and about 1 min to shutdown although I've cut the shutdown to about 30 seconds with a small tweak to force programs to close down quicker.

EDIT: Should have checked before I posted, seems someone posted it last night - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231213/windows-7-release-date-announced/, Seems to have only just come on the news over here in the last hour or so, anyway no need for this thread now.

Edited by woodyblade, 03 June 2009 - 07:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shO

shO

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

Thanx for info!

#3 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for posting this, it's cool to see the UK perspective!

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#4 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:58 AM

The release date sounds about right as it is almost finished.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

A leaked memo has revealed that Best Buy will begin pre-selling Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system on 26 June in the U.S., according to The Register. The retailer confirmed late last week the date people can start buying Vista-based computers and subsequently qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 7, when it lands in October. A Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade is $49 and Windows 7 Professional is $99.

http://www.crankygeeks.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

PC WizKid how are you enjoying the RC? Is the Official Windows 7 RC Tester something that you came through via Microsoft?
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

#7 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:45 AM

I am enjoying Windows 7 a lot and I just call myself that OK.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#8 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

No worries! Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to reading more about your experiences with the RC.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users