Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Sugestions On...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nathen

Nathen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

Hey all

I've come here looking for suggestions on re-building my PC. Just to say rite away, I live in Canada, and am only 16, so I have a fairly low budget compared to what some of you may want to throw at me. Next, the type of PC I am looking for is a "decent" gaming computer, and by that I mean something fairly up to date, but not an over the top super-computer. I'm new to custom PC's, so I donít know exactly what I need (although I have done allot of research and have come to some conclusions). Basically what I figure I need are:

-Motherboard
-Processor
-Memory
-And possibly a case w/new PSU
(if I am missing something, please mention it)

I figure I can keep my hard drives. Also my video card is fairly new (Radeon 9000 PRO) but Iím not too sure how that would hold up to some stuff coming out soon. Also, I am fine on the software end so I donít have to worry about spending $200+ on and OS and firewall, so that gives me a little more to spend. I donít have a solid number for my budget yet, but I figure that I'll start with the motherboard and build off that. Their are a few independent shops around town also that I could probably get what I need cheap, but i still would like some opinions on what I should look for so I donít look like a complete idiot when the clerk is throwing names and numbers at me that have no meaning in my head at all.

Thanks

Edited by Nathen, 29 June 2005 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:04 AM

Hi Nathen,
Welcome to BC and thanks for outlining your question so well.
I can only offer you general advice since the situation in Canada may be quite different to mine and I'm not that much into gaming anyway.

What kind of games were you looking at on this system?

Motherboards - well the most important thing is it has to suit the CPU you are going to be able to afford. Two camps: Intel and AMD. Intel have P4s and Celerons - most peolple here would say stay away from Celerons, AMD have Athlons and - I'm not sure - Semprons??? - anyhow it's widely regarded that you get more 'bang for your buck' if you go AMD, but then you need a motherboard to suit. The mobo should also have heaps of USB ports, lan port and sound built in. Although if your into gaming you probably want a decent soundcard - maybe later?
SATA is a good option on the mobo - that's the new disk interface and there are some top value hard drives out in SATA - 120GB upwards.

Memory - that's easy, as fast as you can get and as much as you can afford. Only good brands like Kingston and Corsair. At least 512MB.

Case and PSU - The bigger the better. PSU - it seems like 400W is the acceptable minimum these days (although a lot of systems I build have 350W PSU's and they do fine). The more room you have in the case the cooler everything will run, extra 'case fans' help too. If you go for a P4 the cases with the 'air tunnel' side vents are really good for cooling.

Video Card/AGP - this is never ending storyland - there is always something better than you can afford. There are so many varieties I've given up keeping track - I bought a bottom of the range card the other day and it had 128MB DDRAM, DVI, S-Video, AGP 8X - that would have been top of the range 2 years ago.
PCI-X is supposed to be replacing AGP as the new 'graphics port of choice' but so far I've read the PCI-X stuff that's out there is not as fast as equivalent AGP cards. So AGP will get you the best deal at the moment.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 01 July 2005 - 09:16 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:47 AM

Hey im a bit of a gamer and i find my system works well, runs most games, what i have is
128mb video card ( Nvidia FX5700 )
768MB ram (i found 256mb worked well as long as i wasnt running alot of toher things )
My mobo isnt that great but it suppers 8X APG or something..
it has build in sound,lan,and video, most new ones these days may have build in video card but its no good 4 gaming.
AMD Althon 2400+ (about a 2.00Ghz)

You will find when gaming your CPU will get hot, its good 2 have a very good heat sink/fan on it ( copper heat sink ) best to get that put in by someone who knows what there doing, but if u do it do some good research on that type of thing so u no what your doing 100%

You would want a good CPU at lest 2.0Ghz, about a AMD 2400+ or somekind of intel 2.0 or more, not really that up wif cpus, i think AMD is best for gaming.
Also some case fans maby one sucks air in and 2 sucking air out. Im all the way over in NZ but i picked up a few fans for $6 each so they wont cost u much, not the case fans anyway.

I done a quick google on that video card u said, 64MB DDR memory and Radeonģ 9000 PRO is what i found.. 64mb ram is a bit low for high end gaming, you want at lest 128mb ram, and with newer and newer games coming out it might pay to save your money up a bit and get a 256mb it would be well worth it. also try get 1 with all the extras :thumbsup: when you think you found one ask here, or do a google for " card type review " just do get a little more info from people who have them.

Depening on your case now you may not need a new one, as you could keep it for now and install al your new hardwear and if its running to hot then think about a better case.
(MBM can tell you your CPU and case temps)
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

As for power supply 350 - 400W should do fine as rimmer said, but if your getting a 256mb video card, i would recomend the 400W.

If anyone wants 2 correct me fell free i may be outdated on some of this

#4 maj.stiffy

maj.stiffy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

the first thing you may want to let us know is about how much you have to actually spend. this will govern a great deal exactly what you are going to be able to buy. if you want a decent gaming comp you are probably going to have to spend somewhere in the range of $500 to $1000 bucks depending on what you want to upgrade and how good you want your upgrades to be. i just bought parts to build a new computer and the only things i kept was the monitor and dvd burner. i spent about $1700 bucks on getting a good "mid-range" gaming system that is now probably out of date to some. let me know how much your budget is and i can maybe help you out on your choices...

you may want to look at the amd side if your pockets aren't deep. they have some good solutions that are easy on your budget. i would get at least a A64 proc. AXP procs were good in their time, but they are slowly becoming a dying breed. You pretty much have the same upgrade choices w/ and Athlon 64 board as Athlon XP boards in terms of hardware, just 64 bit support. The price is also gonna be a little higher for A64 but it will be worth it in terms of not having to upgrade for at least a *year*... also don't look for ddr2 w/ A64, you'll have to stick w/ ddr400 (or whatever off speed you choose) . if you want to keep your vid card be sure to get a board w/ agp not pci-x. i would also stick w/ a nforce chipset w/ Athlon 64 as they seem to be the most reliable chipset at this time. as far as a case/power supply, imo, do not get a cheap combo--buy the case and power supply separate, and don't skimp on the power supply, if you buy a cheap power supply you will get a cheap power supply that may cause you to have problems with your system. i personally have an antec neo power 450w power supply in my system and have not had any problems with my hardware (crosses fingers). if you have any more questions about anything feel free to ask me as i build computers for people all the time and have built several for myself over the past 8 years... good luck

Edited by maj.stiffy, 04 July 2005 - 10:41 PM.

maj.stiffy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users