Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two hard drives running Home and XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LeDrew

LeDrew

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:14 AM

I have one hard drive on one computer running XP home, and another running XP pro. Both desktops.

I want the Pro hard drive on the Home computer either has master or slave. Can this be done? If they can how do I go about doing this? Is it easy?

If it cannot be done, is there a way i can transfer the files from one PC to another.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:47 AM

it sounds like you have two computers, one running pro and one running home. you can run both on one pc if you have a retail key for one of them, if they are both oem (oem keys come with the pc normally and are cheaper to buy but are non-transferrable) you would legally have to purchase a retail copy. However if one is oem and the other retail you can use the retail version on the oem version with a second drive (or if they are both retail).

However if all you want to do is copy files from one to the other there are a couple of ways to do it
easiest is to use a usb thumbdrive, copy files to thumbdrive and then transfer to other pc.

next way would be to use a network cable (especially if lots of file/big files).
all you have to do then is share a public folder and copy over what you need (this way would probably best as i guess both pc's are networked already - can they both get on the internet, if so they are likely connected to the same router).

You can also just put one drive in the other pc but if you arent used to playing with pc hardware can cause yourself some grief if not careful, and the windows wouldnt work without repairing so all you would be able to do is copy things.

#3 LeDrew

LeDrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

XP home is a legit version and XP Pro is a oem version.

I want the Xp pro HD in the home computer. Would I make Home or Pro the master?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

There is no master...when it comes to operating systems.

Since you have two computers, it seems to me that the simple solution might just be to network the two.

If you move a hard drive...from one system to another...with the intent of using the O/S on each...that may or may not be legal (as pointed out).

<<XP home is a legit version and XP Pro is a oem version.>>

I guess that I don't know what you intended to convey by that..."oem" means various things in the mind of users, most of which are not equal to the realization that...any OEM version of XP is tied to the original system it was installed on.

And...there are two concepts that come to mind for me:

a. OEM systems from manufacturers like Dell, Gateway, Compaq, etc. where the O/S is installed by the system manufacturer.

b. Microsoft OEM versions of XP, such as the ones which I have purchased. These are now known as "system builder" versions.

Either version is tied to the system originally installed on.

FWIW: Intel® Application Accelerator - Moving a Hard Drive to a New Motherboard - http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009290.htm AND Moving XP to new MB or Computer - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users