Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do the small PC repair shops scan customer PCs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joey76

joey76

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:39 PM

Hey

I'm curious how small mom&pop PC repair shops typically remove viruses from computers.. I know a "big company" has a disc with a PE environment that has a command line scanner with roughly 7 or 8 big brand scanners (trend, spysweeper, kaspersky, etc). They load into the PE environment, bind it to the registry and just scan.

Well without an unlimited license from all of those companies, how do the small shop owners scan their customers computers? Do they connect the infected hard drive externaly to the shop PC and scan it that way? Or is where a way to install command line scanners into a "customer PE"?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

I am moving this topic to general chat. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hey

I'm curious how small mom&pop PC repair shops typically remove viruses from computers.. I know a "big company" has a disc with a PE environment that has a command line scanner with roughly 7 or 8 big brand scanners (trend, spysweeper, kaspersky, etc). They load into the PE environment, bind it to the registry and just scan.

Well without an unlimited license from all of those companies, how do the small shop owners scan their customers computers? Do they connect the infected hard drive externaly to the shop PC and scan it that way? Or is where a way to install command line scanners into a "customer PE"?

Thanks

I believe they remove the hard drives and put them in a master computer with some anti-virus like bitdefender. Then once it's clean they put it back in.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:32 AM

:trumpet:

Actually that is pretty close, but they also have Malware and other Dectors on the Main Machine, they just set up the HDD as a Slave and Scan it, that way the Virus has little chance of spreading, if it is not directly accessed, then depending on what pops up in the Scan, they know what the next step is. By that I mean that some Viruses need a reformat and reinstall afterwards, only way to safely ensure that they are gone.

Always remember that they are obliged to take due care to ensure that the Machine is clean when it leaves their Shop.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:48 AM

Always remember that they are obliged to take due care to ensure that the Machine is clean when it leaves their Shop.

I think you will find, they are not obliged to ensure your machine is clean, when it leaves the Shop,if it went in for a different repair.
They are only obliged, to fix what is on the Job sheet,and inform you if they found malware.
Then you have the option, to take it home, and rid the machine of Malware,or they will do it for you at a price.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:01 AM

:inlove:

I think you will find, they are not obliged to ensure your machine is clean, when it leaves the Shop,if it went in for a different repair.
They are only obliged, to fix what is on the Job sheet,and inform you if they found malware.
Then you have the option, to take it home, and rid the machine of Malware,or they will do it for you at a price.

All due Respects?

He did say this?

I'm curious how small mom&pop PC repair shops typically remove viruses from computers..

Once that is put on the Job Sheet, it becomes the Duty of Care of the Owner of the Shop to at least give full Details of all that is found. Just because it may not be an actual Virus is no excuse for not being set up and small Mom and Pops Shops will fix them if able, not like the Larger ones. Most Larger Shops just want to Reformat and Reinstall and not bother about any of it.

That is the difference with the Mom and Pop Shops against the Rest. Same as in many other Businesses.

Edited by Abacus 7, 09 June 2009 - 04:16 AM.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

All due Respects?
He did say this?

My opologies, Abacus 7. I misread your Post. :thumbsup:

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

All due Respects?
He did say this?

My opologies, Abacus 7. I misread your Post. :flowers:

I knew you did, Mate, That being said, I think that the person concerned should be well advised to seek out Help if Mum&Dad Computer Shop cannot fix it.

In all honesty, unless you really Ask, there will always will be people to rip you off.

Bigger Companies just don't care any more, just reformat and reinstal as Robots.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 09 June 2009 - 07:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users