Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Hot To Handle?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:38 PM

Hello all:
I just recently have been dealing with playing DVDs on my desktop. Not just physical DVDs, but extracted ISOs and such as well. It seems that the ambient temperature of the room is making the video freeze up, forcing me to kill the process then try again later. I live in a third-floor apartment (getting all the heat from tenants below me), with all of my windows facing west, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. So I'm sure you can imagine that it gets a tad warm. I have a thermometer in my bedroom (where the PC is). If the temperature rises above 79 degrees Fahrenheit, the video freezes. Initially this was just when I played physical DVDs, so I tried extracting one to hard drive and play it from there. Same issue crops up.

So I dug around my program files (I don't have all my program files listed in my Start Menu), and found SpeedFan 4.34. It reports the hard drive as around 145 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.

So my questions is this: is it really the temperature that's causing this (not just coincidence)? And is it the video card that's doing the freezing? My video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 running on Windows XP SP3, Intel Pentium D CPU 2.66GHz 3.0GHz 1GB RAM. I've tried various programs to play the DVDs/Extracted files, including WinDVD 8 Platinum, VLC Player, Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center.

As always, any help/input/suggestions are very much appreciated. Let me know if you need more info...

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:46 PM

If the CPU was overheating the computer wouldn't just freeze up, it would shut down or reboot

", Intel Pentium D CPU 2.66GHz 3.0GHz "

If your CPU is shown like that I would suspect that it is overclocked & that could be causing the problem
If you're not sure go in the BIOS setup
Go yo the Exit page
Load the defaults, save & exit.

It sounds like a video card issue.
I would tirn it off, unplug it, open the case, remove the video card & see if the heatsink/fan is dirty.
Also inspect the capacitors.
If ANY have a domed top replace the video card.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 02 June 2009 - 11:50 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:56 PM

fairjoeblue:
Thanks for such a timely response!

First, I will check to see if it's overclocked. I really can't tonight, but will tomorrow.

But I don't know what the capacitors look like. Could you give me a hand on that? And as far as the heat sinks are concerned, they are as clean as a whistle. I check them regularly...

Thanks again!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

The capacitors look like tiny tin cans sticking up .
Here is a [example] picture of a group of capacitors,

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/img/data/ar...acitor_bloc.jpg

The top of a capacitor should be flat.
If it is domes or bulging it is bad
If it looks like it is leaking something it is bad.

I have a GeForce FX 5200 that has a bulged [domed] capacitor from having a bad fan & overheating.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

capacitors are little cylinders, usually located around the CPU. they should be clean, flat top (no bulges) and connected by 2 points to the motherboard. Like in the below image. You can see which ones are blown and which ones are not, the top 4 are blown as well as the bottom one, but the 3 in the middle (with the flat, clean tops) appear to be good. Note, it doesnt mean they are, but chances are their good.

Attached Files

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

Hello all:
Thank you all so much for your input. I'll take a gander inside the case and see what's up, and check on the capacitors. About a year ago a friend of mine (who does most of the physical work on my PCs) installed a 'bleepin' fan into my desktop. Temperature has never been an issue until this month. I'll also ask him to look at things as well.

As far as a new video card is concerned, I did have an ATI Radeon card in, but my friend insisted that the GeForce 5200 was better for my needs. I use my desktop for video of all sorts, and some graphic-intensive gaming (The Sims). Looks like I'll have to totally re-evaluate the current configuration.

I asked my friend if he over-clocked the desktop; he said no. So that can be ruled out.

If I can get these things done in a timely fashion I will report back here to this thread with the results. Unfortunately I can't afford a new video card, but I'm sure I can work something out. I always manage to...

Thanks again, folks! You guys rock, as usual!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users