Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The proper way to remove a program

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

I was told this; boy have we all heard that before. Question, is it true if you load a program from a CD that it should be removed with that CD. It remove it more completely that using add/remove off of the control panel? Is this is true and if so; why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

The only programs that I know of where the CD is required for removal...are versions of MS Office.

Even those3 will start the removal from Add/Remove Programs and users will then be prompted to insert the necessary CD.

When a program is properly installed, those files generally includes the installation of the necessary utility for uninstallation of that program.

I cannot really tell you why MS Office is different :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for getting back hamluis. Thats where my small problem began. Removing M/S Office and Accounting from my computer. It left NET Framework 3.0 SP 2 behind; it also tell me its not working properly. Tried to repair with no success. The same for NET Framework 2.0 SP-2. I think these were lift behind by M/S office and accounting but not sure. Would installing C/D and removing be a good idea. Computer is working as it should.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

MS.NET...has nothing to directly do with MS Office.

You can read up on what MS.NET is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

If you desire, you can uninstall any version/updates for it...via Add/Remove Programs. If you have error messages indicating that the Framework install is not working properly...you probably ought to properly uninstall it. When programs don't work properly, uninstalling them and reinstalling often solves the problem.

If you desire to reinstall it, I suggest that you only install the latest version (3.5), which will include updates for prior versions.

http://www.microsoft.com/NET/

Louis

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:56 AM

I will get back when I do some thing with this mess.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Which version of Office are you trying to remove?
2009 is a bear to remove

Edited by garmanma, 06 June 2009 - 09:15 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

Thanks to you folks for getting back to me. M/S office Accounting Express 2007 is the little bougger. I have used add and remove but I think it has left things behind. I just loaded the C/D and there is not remove on the C/D. I think it has left behind a lot of Net Frameworks behind and may be more.I have 3.0 SP2 that is not working and will not repair and some others. The last time I removed them I had a lot of problems with Help and Support; I don't know if they are related. I do have NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 SP1 with 2 hotfixes. I don't even know weather I need 3.5 when M/S office/accounting gone.

Edited by Layback Bear, 06 June 2009 - 11:12 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

See http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...1c-064a09f8e986

Louis

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

I went to the web site http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...1c-064a09f8e986. That is the way I removed the program. How would I find if there is any thing that is left over after removing the program? Kind of like when removing Nortons there was a ton of things left over that took me a lot of time to find it all.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

Do a manual search of the registry and all files, using keywords...that's the only way that I know of to check an entire system for such.

And...that's not foolproof, since it depends on keywords. Not all files carry keywords a user might input.

Louis

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:03 AM

Thank you hamluis! You are always a lot of help. I will be doing some searching.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

Just a reminder...back up your registry before playing in it.

ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Louis

#13 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

I saw reference to a tool for cleaning up office - called RipOutOffice2007.zip> I don't remember where I saw it but google should be able to find it for you ... maybe even BC has a copy and forgot to mention it. This may not work with your version but the philosophy is the same ... perhaps there is one for other years. Good luck.
regards _ed_

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the information. I have googled this subject and all things lead to changing the Registry like hamluis has posted and that scares me. I will have to think on that. Please close this subject while I'm thinking.

#15 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:20 AM

Hello Layback Bear,

Here are the specific instructions straight from the horse's mouth (Microsoft):

How to manually uninstall the 2007 Office system if you cannot uninstall it by using the "Add or Remove Programs" feature:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users