Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm so infected I'm going to just wipe this puppy, but can I do a factory restore or...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 keeked

keeked

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

So I am terribly cursed. I have a 2005 dell dimension 8400 (not the cursed part) running XP SP3 media center (also not the cursed part) I have some really nasty stuff here (Trojans, backdoor TDDS, yep, cursed) and I've made the decision to just start over, it's the safest way to make sure I'm not leaving anything behind. Now tho I need to know if I can do the Dell factory restore thing where it's just like I got it with all the lovely unwanted, you know, crap on it or if I need to do a total wipe which for me will be much harder since I know not what I am doing.

I can't google for information because of the redirect nonsense, so really this site will be my major source of help. If I ask stupid questions, well, I'm STRESSED! Sorry in advance.

Anyway, I have in the past used Belarc advisor to see exactly what's on the PC and it was really helpful. Now unfortunately, I can't access it because of the bad stuff, I did save the last one I did from a year ago but I need to know if there is another way to get this information. I probably already know this, but I'm not thinking clearly.

I just looked and I do have an operating system reinstallation DVD with the product key. Now I just need to know what to do next. Actually right now I'm going to the store to get an external HD and chocolate.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

First, Enjoy some chocolate.

Next, If you got the external drive you can save your personal files/pictures/music/etc. .
You can't save installed prorgrams, Office/etc. .

Then,

Turn the unit on and put the XP disk in the drive.
Leave the disk in the drive and restart the unit,
Watch the screen for a message that says "Press any key to boot from CD,
Press a key on the keyboard,
Wait while it goes through starting from the disk,
[You may have to press F8 during startup to accept the EULA]
When you get to the screen with the box that shows the current version of XP installed press "D" on the keyboard,
Press "Enter"
Press "L"
You now should have a screen asking what file system you want to format to, NTFS should be selected by default,
Press enter,
The disk will be formatted and the installation will automatically begin when the format is finished,
During the installation the computer will restart DO NOT press a key to boot from the CD again !
At that point the unit will boot from the hard drive and continue the installation.
After awhile you will be asked to "name" your computer,
I suggest naming it the same as the main user ID.
[Example, I have an XP unit named "testbox" the user name is also "testbox"
You will be asked if you want to turn on automatic updates, select NO or Not now,
You will be asked if you want to setup a network connection, click on skip,
You will be asked to enter a user name and password,
Enter the same name you used for the unit ,
Only enter a password if you want to have to log on every time XP starts,
[If you have more then one user you can enter passwords later]
Follow the prompts to finish.
When you get to the desktop the only icon showing will be the recycle bin
Click on the "Tour XP balloon [or icon in the taskbar by the clock] and click "Cancel"
Go to Start>Control Panel,
Double click "Taskbar and Start Menu"
Click on the "Start Menu" tab
Put a dot in the circle by "Classic Start Menu"
[That will put the icons on the desktop]
Click OK
Double click on "Folder Options"
Click on the "View" tab
Go down the list until you find "Show hidden files and folders"
[for future use]
put a dot in the circle by it
Click OK
Close the Control Panel
Double click on "My Computer"
Right click on the "C:" drive
Left click on "Properties"
Click on the "Tools" tab
Click on "Defragment Now"
Defrag the drive
When you are done start installing your other programs and applications
[Defrag again when finished]
When they are installed if you have the "activate XP" notice do the activation,
When you have gotten this far either go to Windows Update and do the updates or go to "My Computer" and right click on it
Left click on "Properties"
When the box opens click on the "Automatic Updates" tab
Put a dot in the circle next to "Automaic [Recommended]
Click OK.
In order for the Automatic Updates to begin right away turn the unit completely off then restart it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 keeked

keeked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the info! You make it sound so easy but I somehow think that this will not be a walk in the park.

I am in the middle of backing things up, but I have a stupid question, I've done this before but my brain is fried and chocolate helps alot of things but not my memory tonight.

Question-- How do I save emails? I know there is something involving import and/or export (or is that the address book?) Oh yeah, how do I backup the address book?

Guess what? The Walmart had Mountain Dew 2 liters on sale for $0.94 Yes! I'm gonna be up all night (Well, maybe that's not such a good idea).
Thanks Again!

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

Whayever email you use do a google search for the how to.

Example: How to export my outlook address book

The first link from my search,

http://www.uwo.ca/its/doc/hdi/email/exportmyaddressbook.html

how to backup outlook emails,

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/...1030811033.aspx
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 keeked

keeked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

Thank you! Not being able to Google makes me insane.
My father (86 yrs old) thinks google is part of an insidious plot designed to encourage people to stop thinking for themselves. He just may have something there.
All I know is sometimes I NEED to not have to think about a certain thing for an hour and 20 minutes to do something that take 30 seconds to do.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:56 AM

Between Google & a couple of other search engines you literly have the knowledge of the world at your finger tips.

Ask your father if the "Encyclopedia Britanica" is part of an insidious plot designed to encourage people to stop thinking for themselves. :thumbsup:

Google is just a form of electronic encyclopedia, just a world of information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users