Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mbhayes

mbhayes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

This is a bit of a long explanation, but bear with me -- whoever helps me out will probably need all of these details...

I have a 500GB Western Digital hard drive. Originally, I had partitioned it; one partition had Windows XP, the other had FreeBSD. There was also a third boot partition that I created with Boot Magic so that I could choose which OS would boot when I started up the computer. I deleted the FreeBSD partition. After that, when I tried to boot, I would get a Boot Magic error because the boot partition was still trying to run, even though I had deleted both it and the FreeBSD partition (probably because I never changed my boot.ini or anything and thus it was trying to access a boot partition that didn't exist). This was not a problem, it just said "press any key to continue" and I did and it would load to windows.

Then, I started getting an error telling me to insert system disk. I inserted the Windows CD and booted to the setup, but was unsure what to do. After researching some options on the internet, I tried resetting the boot order in my BIOS. This worked for about 1 reboot. I then started getting a NTLDR missing error which I fixed. Then I got an error about "invalid boot.ini, booting from c:/windows" and it would then just restart and be in a loop.

For all of this, the drive would show up as SATA 4 in my BIOS, so I really don't think the hard drive is buggered or anything. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting it, and this hasn't helped. I installed Windows XP on another hard drive, and it doesn't see the original hard drive at all. Now ... I can't boot at all. I disconnected the second hard drive with XP on it. So, all that is connected now is the messed up HD and my DVD drive, and neither are booting.

I just need to access the original HD somehow so I can save my stuff!!!!!! Please help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

<<I installed Windows XP on another hard drive, and it doesn't see the original hard drive at all.>>

If that's true...then you probably have a failing/dead hard drive.

Any install of XP should be able to see the hard drive/partition containing another install of XP...when both are connected to the same motherboard.

Attach the second drive with XP installed and use it to boot the system. Go into Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc, hit OK) and post all info re drives which are reflected at bottom of screen.

Louis

Attached Files

#3 mbhayes

mbhayes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

The only info in disk management is the current windows drive and a boot partition.

Also, I noticed a new issue, sort of, my DVD drive is also SATA and it isn't working either -- is there an issue with the SATA system some how perhaps??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users