Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File(s)deletion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marv73

marv73

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

I notice in my Windows Folder I have several "KB......Log" messages. Can I safely delete these messages? The $NTUninstall type messages I was told could be deleted as long as I had no need to uninstall any recent updates. Thanks for any help on this

MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

Hello,

Those files are associated with windows updates. They can be deleted, but it will make uninstalling a windows update hotfix very difficult in the future.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 marv73

marv73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for your reply. Just to insure that we are on the same page, are you saying that both type messages that I mentioned were required to uninstall an update?? Also, were you talking about a specific type (Hotfix) message or all updates as far as uninstalling is concerned?? Sorry if this seems nitpicking to you but ...
Thanks
Marv

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

Hi Marv,

The KB log files are associated with windows update files. If you remove these log files you will not be able to uninstal the corresponding update. It depends to what file the KB log file is associated with.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

Personally, I would leave them alone. It's too risky.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

I don't see any risk, nor do I see anything I would consider a gain...as a result of removing these. To me, it's kind of like trying to sweep the floor of a house built on nothing but bare earth with no subfloor other than the dirt.

When users decide to "tidy" up Windows, they generally do much more harm than good...failing to consider that maybe a computer system is not supposed to be a "tidy" place in the same sense that a simple house may be.

In any case, self-inflicted-wound learning lessons are those which seem to serve some of us best.

A repair install of XP removes all updates since a given point...for those who find that they want to uninstall critical updates previously installed. For users who cannot do a repair install, I know of no other options.

Louis

#7 marv73

marv73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

Thanks to all for your input. Marv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users