Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't shut down.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Binante

Mr Binante

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:44 PM

I can't get Windows to shut down... It starts closing the startup programs then it just stops, and acts like it was never shutting down. During this period I can run programs, surf the internet, etc... I have a Windows Xp Media Center PC and SP2 installed. I run Registry Mechanic 4.0, Ad Aware SE Plus, PcPitstop Optimize, SpyBot S&D, Norton AntiVirus 2005, and ZoneAlarm Pro for protection, along with regular deframentations using Diskeeper and regular Windows Updates.

Thank You for any help you can give,

Sincerely Mr Binante

If you have not linked yourself to true emptiness, you will never understand the art of peace . . .

Edited by Mr Binante, 29 June 2005 - 06:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:35 PM

Have you considered maybe your computer takes so long because so many applications are running?

Go to your start menu, click run, and in the dialog box type msconfig.
Then click the startup tab, try disabling a few things that you dont absolutely need.

Do you get any error messages? anything that would hint at what the problem might be.

I dont think its spyware because youve scanned with all those applications.

And heres a quick tip, dont have more than 1 antivirus, it causes software compatibility issues and ultimately slows down your computer.

Another tip, i researched diskeeper...its pretty much the same thing as windows defragmenter but a fancier design. All the features diskeeper has windows defragmenter has. So its ultimately a waste of money.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:37 PM

It has to be a program hanging that's preventing the computer from shutting down.

Have you installed anything new recently? (at which point the problem began)

Try using the task manager to shut down a program at a time after clicking on shutdown.

When it discontinues hanging and shuts down you have found the culprit.

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 June 2005 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users