Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why isn't my CD drive invisible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

I just got y CD drive for my laptop and it installed it. When I reset, it disappeared for "my computer" its still getting power and everything. I check the compatibility and it is compatible. Its not the USP port since my cousin has the same laptop and I tried her CD drive. I bough this "Dell Latitude C640 24x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive" from discountelectronics.com. My computer is a latitude c640. Why isn't it working? It worked once I installed it but just bugs out on me. Sometimes it works for a few seconds after reset then goes off. other times it just doesn't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:39 PM

Is this an internal or external cd drive? I take it that it's an external because you said you tested the usb port with another cd drive? Also, did it come with a driver disk, and if so, did you install the drivers?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

Delete the upper/lower filters
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

It didn't come with a disc. It just works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I tried to install an old game that requires changing of CDs but it just poofed on me. I mean, it installed by itself, its just that the CD drives just disappears on me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users