Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello :) question about installing xp pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fosgate3

fosgate3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Can Windows XP be installed to a drive that is connected to a working computer via one of those USB-IDE/SATA adapters? The original computer that the drive came from has a bad motherboard and a corrupt/damaged OS. The drive (IDE, by the way) has been formatted through disk management and seems to be a healthy drive now.

I attempted to do what I am inquiring but backed out when the XPdisk wanted to restart the good, active computer that the USB-IDE/SATA adapter was connected to.

So is my process right or is there a better way?

Thanks for the help, in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:47 PM

I don't think I quite get what you are trying to do.

You formatted a hard drive out of a computer & have the hard drive in an external USB enclouser & are trying to install XP on it by hooking it to a working computer [that has Windows installed] ?

What is the purpose of installing XP on a HD in a external enclosure ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 fosgate3

fosgate3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

I don't think I quite get what you are trying to do.

You formatted a hard drive out of a computer & have the hard drive in an external USB enclouser & are trying to install XP on it by hooking it to a working computer [that has Windows installed] ?

What is the purpose of installing XP on a HD in a external enclosure ?

The trive is not an external drive... it's an internal drive that came out of a broke pc. The drive originally came out of a pc with a bad mboard and as stated, had some problems with the OS that was on it, to the point that it wouldnt boot up. When connected via a USB-to-IDE/SATA adapter to my office pc, I was able to backup what I needed to off the drive without any problem. I then formatted it through disk managment on the office computer and now, I want to go ahead and get XP installed on it while I wait for another mboard to arrive. My hopes were to go ahead and get XP installed and then when the owner of the drive brings me an mboard, reinstall the mb and drive and do whatever updates, etc. I need to do.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Microsoft does not design Windows...so that it can be installed on a hard drive...and then successfully moved to an entirely different motherbioard or system. If that were the case, piracy of Windows would be very easy to accomplish, as it was with the 9x series of O/Ses.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2009 - 03:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users