Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Internet Security Suite/Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

I have recently bought a new PC with Windows Vista. I use Zonealarm Internet Security Suite and downloaded the new Vista version to enable me to make use of my Zonealarm subscription. However, while it runs OK, after varying amounts of time I find that I cannot browse the web.

When I type in a new web address it either hangs as though its trying to connect to the page or I get a message saying something like trying to connect/cannot connect to page (can't remember the exact words).

I can still use Windows Mail and MSN still works. The only way round this problem is to restart my PC and once it is reloaded I can access the internet again.

I tried uninstalling Zonealarm and just using AVG and I didn't get the same problem but since reinstalling Zonealarm the same things is happening again.

I did a search on this site and have seen a couple of people with a similar problem and from looking at their hijack logs can see that they run zonealarm too.

I'm searching the Zonealarm site/forum for help but in the meantime can anyone advise or let me know why this is happening?
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

You've probably already checked these:
Is the Vista Firewall turned off?
Was there a previous suite installed that came with the new computer? Was it uninstalled completely using the company's removal tool?
Checked the firewall trusted zone? Got the loopback adapter and your network in trusted zone? DNS and DHCP in trusted zone if you're not behind a router?

#3 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

I hadn't checked all of these but have now and all are as they should be.

Its very frustrating as everything will work fine for a while then out of the blue I can't get on any websites :thumbsup:

I may have to cut my losses with my Zonealarm subscription and go for a free antivirus product for a while although I do like Zonealarm.
Posted Image

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

My only problem putting latest version of zone alarm security suite on a Vista 64 bit was the Vista firewall was still running in the background although zone alarm was supposed to have turned it off. I went into services, stopped the Vista firewall, disabled the vista firewall and rebooted. No more connectivity problems. Another possibility: Do the connection problems happen in all browsers, internet explorer? firefox? opera? chrome? tried disabling all addons?

#5 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:04 PM

Not sure if the problem is solved or not. When I originally had problems on my new pc with Zonealarm I installed avg free and I hadn't removed it, but I did exit the program every day. I uninstalled it yesterday and so far today I haven't had any connection problems, although I haven't been online as much today so I'll give it a couple of days and see what happens.

Thanks your help :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

Before installing ANY security suite which has Antivirus, the existing, other company's Antivirus must be uninstalled.
Since your DHCP, DNS, LocalHost, Router, etc IPs are in the trusted zone, this is the only conflict I can think of.

To restate:
ZA security suite contains antivirus. Kaspersky (at least on XP, and I'm sure Vista as well)
Two AV products are unacceptable.
You need to uninstall AVG. Totally. Go to their website. Find clean uninstaller.

Edited by tos226, 04 June 2009 - 08:13 PM.

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:16 AM

Not sure if the problem is solved or not. When I originally had problems on my new pc with Zonealarm I installed avg free and I hadn't removed it, but I did exit the program every day. I uninstalled it yesterday and so far today I haven't had any connection problems, although I haven't been online as much today so I'll give it a couple of days and see what happens.

Thanks your help :thumbsup:

You are welcome. There is an AVG removal tool if you need it. Here's the link: http://www.avg.com/download-tools

tork

#8 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:20 AM

ZA security suite contains antivirus. Kaspersky (at least on XP, and I'm sure Vista as well)

It's Kaspersky antivirus in Vista Zone Alarm Internet Security suite as well as Kaspersky antivirus in the XP version of the zone alarm security suite.

tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users