Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encrypting the Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

I'm about to sell my computer with 160 GB harddrive and wonder how I can make sure all the data I've deleted and emptied from the recycle bin is not recoverable. I've used a program named File Shredder 2.0 to delete alot of things with multiple passes and DOD encryption. I'm just wondering how I can ensure that no data can be recovered once the hardisk is showing all 160 gb as free space? thanks, cilypudi

System:

ACPI Uniprocessor PC
XP Home Edition SP3
AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz 3800+
ASUSTeK A8V-MX motherboard
VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP graphic card
Realtek ALC655 @ VIA AC'97 Enhanced soundcard
160 GB HD (140 GB free)
980MB RAM
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Edit: Moved topic from Internal Hardware to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

Do you want to be 100% sure that your buyer has no chance of ever seeing any of your data?

Do not give them the hard drive. Get a new hard drive. Slave your old one on your new computer or drill some holes in it and recycle it. Then you are 100% covered.

Only then will you be 100% sure and never wonder... what if they find my stuff...

I can get a 500GB drive around here for less than $100.

Make them pay for it and pay you to put XP or some other OS on there.

Edited by joseibarra, 02 June 2009 - 10:27 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

Replacing the hard drive is your best bet.

However, the File Shredder program using the DOD encryption is generally sufficient for most.
It would require a lot of time, expensive equipment and money to dig anything out.

I used to help a team doing rehabs of PCs to be passed along to others - seniors or kids.
We always used a program like File Shredder, wiped the drives and reinstalled the OS, or gave the intact hard drive back to the donor and put another in.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

You could try using http://www.killdisk.com/ the Gutmann method should wipe over the drive significantly more that the DOD standard. But to be completely sure its best to put a new drive in to the computer.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for your replies. I looked at the freeware Killdisk. I was more curious than anything else. I had read that if you completely filled the recycle bin to equal the HD capacity and emptied, then filled it again with more different data to capacity and emptied, that it would ensure all original files would be overwritten/deleted and unrecoverable. Not sure how that works, just curious.

Edited by cilypudi, 03 June 2009 - 05:38 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

All of the ideas above are good but add going to the drive manufacturers site to see if the have a -0- write program. I know Western digital has it and I am sure others do, I know a security tech he swears -0- write program clean the drives very thoroughly. He said bits and pieces can be detected but piecing anything of value would take a very costly and time consuming.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 cilypudi

cilypudi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users