Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to close port 23 telnet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 andymirasol

andymirasol

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

Hi recently i have had alot of trojans/malware, i seemed to have it all cleaned now...but i have run a scan on GRC.com shields up, and it says i have port 23 open? how do i close this and am i open to any dangers ?thanks

Also it says port 21 and 80 are open , is this normal?

Edited by andymirasol, 02 June 2009 - 07:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

You can use this excellent listing of what ports are designated for, and what purpose here: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers This will allow you to be able to determine if you need a port open or not.

Port 23 is used for Telnet purposes. If you do not use Telnet services you can disable it using the following method/s.

You can stop the service doing the following (Click Start -> Run -> services.msc) and disable it from there. Or with the use of a 3rd party firewall, Such as Online Armor, ZoneAlarm, or Comodo Firewall.

Port 21 is used for FTP purposes. That port is up to you to either leave open or not. And Port 80 is a very important one if you want to be able to post here or even access the WWW. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users