Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WAU service will not start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

I've got a Dell Vostro 200 computer here running Win XP Pro. It was severely infected with a whole mess of stuff: Vundo, Malware Doctor, and literally hundreds more trojans.
I've used MBAM, SAS, SB:S&D, and Avira to clean it all up. (Currently running SAS in safe mode to verify it is all gone). I'll be running MBAM after it reboots to normal mode too.

However, one problem it has had from the beginning and I can't seem to find the exact issue anywhere on the web. Windows update will not work in any fashion. Automatic update shows as off in the Security Center. If I try to turn it on, it says it can't be turned on and to maybe try going to the control panel to do it. Can't turn it on from the control panel either.

When I go into MMC, Automatic updates shows as being disabled. If I try to change that to MANUAL or AUTOMATIC, as soon as I click the Apply or OK button, a little window titled SERVICES pops up saying ACCESS IS DENIED with a black exclamation mark in a yellow triangle.
I've tried to reregister the dll by running REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL but it comes back failing, with an error code of 0x80070005.

I tried downloading the regsvr32.exe again thinking maybe this one was corrupted, but that didn't help either.

UPDATE: SAS scanned clean in safe mode and MBAM scanned clean in normal mode. So I'm pretty sure it is clean now, but still can't update Windows.

Any ideas will be appreciated greatly. This is a business computer from a customer and I told them I would try to get it back to them today.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by possumbarnes, 02 June 2009 - 08:36 AM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

Microsoft Update Solution Center (includes a list of update issues)
How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update installation issues
Troubleshooting: Automatic Updates
Re-install Windows Update file
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

I tried everything you suggested, Quietman, and about 15 other things throughout the day and none of it worked. I even tried a repair installation of Windows but it would not install over the old update files. I don't know what piece of malware got into it but it corrupted the wau files in a bad way. Had to do a clean install of windows to get it running normally again.

Thanks for the help. Problem resolved.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

Sometimes that's the way to good. Glad to hear the issue is resolved.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users