Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browse for wireless network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

is there a way to search for a wireless network on a windows 2000 computer. Here is my problem is my dad has a laptop and brought it home. Our house has 3 computers on a wireless net work. is there a way i can search for the network that our house is on and connect the laptop to the wireless network. also is there a way to find the wireless networks IP address.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

yes, 2000 is a quite a bit clunkier when it comes to wirelessness than XP. The simple solution to your query may be for him to go into his Network Places and then to Connections and find the wireless adapter listed there. Right-click on it and "View Available Networks" should be there.

I seem to recall that it was advantageous for some wireless adapters to have their proprietary software installed to take control of wireless connections with 2000. If he has the discs handy he may wish to install the application that comes with the adapter rather than just the drivers.

I'm not sure what you mean about the IP address; for the wireless router or for the other 3 machines or for the new 2000 laptop being introduced? If we're talking about the 2000 machine then I would run IPCONFIG from a command window.

#3 frankie12

frankie12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:09 AM

Thanks for the help pchartwell,

It gave me the name of his wirless network but it didn't find our wireless network in our house. Maybe I should call SBC and see if they can help me fix the problem.

Does anyone know why my Dad's computer can't find the wireless network in our house?

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:23 AM

Maybe the wireless card in your Dad's laptop is an older 802.11a card - they are not compatible with 802.11b and 'g' networks which is probably what you have in the house.
Possibly? :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 frankie12

frankie12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:03 PM

Rimmer,

This is going to sound stupid but how do i find if the wireless card is a 802.11a card or a 802.11b card. (sorry for asking this but we just switched to wireless network and i am learning about it).

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:24 AM

Not sure for a built in card, PCMCIA cards will have it on the label. Device Manager or Everest?
Everest download

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users