Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Hell

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

I got a Windows XP disk just recently to upgrade my rather plain windows 2000 laptop. Wen i inseted the disk i went into the 'MY COMPUTER' folder and cliked on the disk icon,wen it loaded up a pic of it came on a sort of windows icon(it was supposed to be a zipped file) Wen i double clicked on it,it asked me what programme I wished to open it with,so I clicked on Mozilla Fire Fox and it loaded up and began extracting the file onto my desktop,wen it got to 30MB out of 442MB it said that there was not enough room on my desktop to extract. So i decided to extract it to drive D in my computer as that had 3.25G free on it. After it extracted it onto that drive i double clicked on it and it asked me again what programme do I wish to open it with,so basically it is leading me around in circles. So i then decided to see if the disk was working at all in my windows XP computer. So i put in the disk and it just extracted it onto my desktop straight away no worries without asking to what programme to open it with. Wen it was extracted i opened the file and it just loaded up perfectly asking me did I want to install it. So if it works perfectly on my windows XP,why do i have to open it with a programme when none of them work,could anybody tell me how to open it and install it on my windows 2000? thakn you plz reply soon cos this is very important to me.

Edited by Lord_Sidelocks, 30 June 2005 - 02:05 PM.

Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:07 PM

You need to set your CD drive as the first boot device on the laptop and boot with the XP CD. It will format and partion your drive.

Before you do that though, I would suggest you check the laptop manufacturers website concerning drivers for the laptop. Most of them have specialized hardware and you will need the appropriate drivers to make it work. You may even need to flash the bios.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

Im sorry but I dont have a clue what that means! lol Im living in ireland and Gateway have closed down over here! Would you be able to tell me how to do it step by step please i would really apreciate it! thank you.
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:13 PM

What type of Gateway laptop is this? The model number is important, rather than the series number, such as 4000 series, model 4522.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:54 PM

it is a Gateway solo 2150 laptop
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:32 PM

Which Windows XP disc do you have?

Is it a full retail version, an OEM version or an upgrade?

If it is an upgrade, you cannot install it on a Windows 2000 Pro system.

You would need to get Windows XP Pro instead.

Let me remind you that Microsoft requires validation of XP so you must have the Microsoft key to validate your Windows XP installation after you install it or it will shut down and no longer function.

#7 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:50 PM

Its a windows XP home edition.(with registration code) Am im not sure if it is to upgrade it,its just to install XP on the computer is what it says on it. So if i could just get XP Pro instead you are saying it will work? What is the microsoft key that I require?
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:51 PM

If you want to "upgrade" (keep data and settings), you need to have a Win XP Pro UPGRADE cd. It comes with the Windows key number you use to validate it.

If you want to do a fresh install, wiping out all data on your computer, you can f-disc (wipe the hd clean) and install the Full Retail Version of Windows XP Home.(not the update)

An "update" to Win XP Home cannot be done to a computer that has Win 2000 Pro on it.

You should go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx to find out what version would be best for you.

Edited by Enthusiast, 30 June 2005 - 07:37 PM.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:37 AM

An "update" to Win XP Home cannot be done to a computer that has Win 2000 Pro on it.

Why not? An upgrade only asks for a previous version of Windows. Or am I wrong?

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:04 AM

I suppose the reason is that the 2000 Pro version on the computer is incompatable with XP Home. Maybe because it usually sets up NTFS instead of FAT 32 but in any case, the Microsoft website says you can't do it.

The chart on this Microsoft page shows that you cannot upgrade Win 2000 to XP Home:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ing/matrix.mspx

If Your Version Does Not Qualify for an Upgrade

If your operating system is not eligible for the upgrade package, there are other options:

Get Great Deals on Windows XP on a New Computer

Take advantage of special offers from computer manufacturers.

Order the Full Version of Windows XP from Your Favorite Retailer

If your system hardware meets the requirements, but your version of Windows is not eligible for upgrade, order your copy of the Windows XP full package from these retailers today. (Note: You may also order an upgrade package from these retailers, if you are eligible.)

Order the Full Version of Windows XP from Microsoft

If your system hardware meets the requirements, but your version of Windows is not eligible for upgrade, get the Windows XP full package directly from Microsoft.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:29 AM

The upgrades seem to need the networking components the way I see it.

But lets get back to Lord_Sidelocks.

According to Solo 2150 Notebook Upgrade Information you are going to be pushing it if you want XP on the machine. How much Ram do you have? Heres your laptop specifications. Bookmark that one for future reference.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the info and the Microsoft commercial. I didn't know that there was a restriction on certain upgrades.

#12 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:29 AM

Im not interested at al in gettin a new XP system. You see i bought this laptop omly last may for my birth day. Thanks for the information on it any waytho! What were one of ytou saying about wiping the hardrive clean because that is exactly what I wanted to do! U see i cannot get the gateway 2000 disk to wipe it clean which is why i got the Windows XP home disk.
Basically what all of you are saying is that I cant install the XP HOme edition disk but I need to install XP PRo yes?
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

#13 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:33 AM

oh bleep only saw the ;ast reply now let me read it!! lol my ram is 64mb which is pretty shiet!
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

#14 Lord_Sidelocks

Lord_Sidelocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:40 AM

does it matter what ram i have to install the disk? I wont use Home Edition I will use Pro instead. Is this all i need to do now to install or 'upgrade' it as it need to be badly cos if i do i am hooping that it will wipe the drive free and have a brand new 1 'pro edition' meaning everythin will work on it again.
Lord_Emmett[COLOR=blue]

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

I wouldn't put XP on that machine. Not nearly enough Ram and the whole system is too slow for that. If it will install you won't like it. Go with the 2000.

Edited by Leurgy, 01 July 2005 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users