Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help installing Wireless PCI Adapter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hi, I'm trying to install the D-Link DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter. (Yes, I know it's discontinued.) I had it installed before, but the AirCFG.exe went missing. I removed the card and drivers, installed the drivers again, and then installed card as the manual said. However, when I booted the system, a found new hardware screen didn't come up as the guide said. I went to device manager and it told me: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. [Code 39]" However, I installed the drivers from the CD provided. Any fixes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

Have you tried downloading and using the latest drivers from the manufacturers website?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

No, since it's discontinued, D-Link doesn't put up anything.

Link: http://dlink.com/search/?qry=DWL-520&x=0&y=0

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

Try this: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-C...river-307.shtml
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

I think that's for laptops. I get this:
Posted Image

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

I found this one

And this one

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 June 2009 - 08:16 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

http://support.dlink.com/products/revision...oductId=DWL-520

Select the revision number and download the drivers.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

I think dpunisher got it. It's the exact same thing on the disk. However, Windows still gives me the same message. I think that's because I installed it while the card was already in. The guide says to install the drivers first, then the card. I'll try it later, and check back. However, when I open the program (D-Link Air Utility), I think a windows like the image below should appear. However, it doesn't. I checked Task Manager, and the process it's running (AirCFG.exe) is running.
Posted Image

#9 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

I removed the card, drivers, and software. Then I installed the drivers, shut down the computer, and then installed the card. However, it still gave me the error. Any tips? The image above still doesn't boot.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

If you have the correct drivers its either an issue with the card (likely) or with windows. A Problem arises when a product line is discontinued. The problem with windows could be driver related and that the drivers are no longer compatible with windows. (since windows constantly updates).

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

I haven't updated Windows since it stopped working, since I couldn't, and at the back of the card, both indicator lights are on. I think it's the drivers.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:32 PM

Just a shot in the dark. Have you tried Restarting your network. Power down your modem and the router and all the computers. Power on the modem until the link light goes solid then plug in the router. Wait until all the lights stop blinking. Then turn on the computers. If you have an integrated modem/router just unplug the modem and plug it back in Wait then turn back on the computers.

Chad Mockensturm 

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

Some people have had luck going to the manufacturer's support site for the chipset and finding a driver that will work
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users