Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows repair console help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyguns

johnnyguns

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

so my windows wouldn't boot up because it told me a file was missing or corrupt (something like system32/windows/system). so i got the windows xp disc and i booted it up from that. it asked me what i wanted to do and i pressed 'r' for the repair console.

it then asks me:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

other sites tell me to press 1 then enter (the logical choice) so that's what i do. now it doesn't do anything after that, apparently its supposed to ask me for my administrator password but nothing happens. one site says wait for it but this thing has been open for 20 minutes and still nothing. help, i really dont want to format it, i need to backup some files for school first. please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

You'll have to give the specific file name that is missing. If you have a slow computer (Post stats) starting a recovery could take a long time (?right?).

#3 Quevine

Quevine

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

This happened to me not all that long ago.

You're not looking for the windows repair console. When the disk boots, hit enter as if you're installing windows as normal, and further into the installation it will ask you (again) if you want to do a clean install or a repair. At *this* point you hit "R", follow the prompts and it'll hopefully patch up your missing files.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

In the RC...after you type the 1, you hit Enter.

It then moves to password prompt. Just hit Enter.

Then try running the command, chkdsk /r (with space between the k and the /).

Louis

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

I know it may be silly, but I ran Recovery Console here (a time or two), and after choosing my Windows installation (1), the glorified command prompt window is so huge (wide) it does not fit on my screen. The screen looks dark and empty, but it's really not. I don't think I ever had to enter a password, but it's been a while.

I reckon this is because some minimal video drivers are installed.

The command prompt is there, but I can't see it until I shift my video position to the right a bit ->>> or shrink the horizontal size using the buttons on my monitor --> <--. Of course, then it is all screwed up for when you boot with your real drivers, but that's the way it goes.

You can sit there and press enter all you want, and it is working, but you just can't see it and think it is broken (or hung)!

You would have the least risk of losing things if you can identify and restore the missing files, but "a file is missing or corrupt" is not a helpful description.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 johnnyguns

johnnyguns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

This happened to me not all that long ago.

You're not looking for the windows repair console. When the disk boots, hit enter as if you're installing windows as normal, and further into the installation it will ask you (again) if you want to do a clean install or a repair. At *this* point you hit "R", follow the prompts and it'll hopefully patch up your missing files.

thanks, i'll try that. before i do that though, i want to know if this will format my laptop? i'm not trying to format it, i'm just trying to get it to work so i can backup the files, i'm getting a new laptop tomorrow :thumbsup:

#7 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

This won't format it, it will attempt a recovery so you can access the files again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users