Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for a Home Server?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mfc90125

mfc90125

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

Greetings - looking to purchase a home server that all of my computers could access, and could be easily set up with a Windows Media box that I'd like to purchase for my downstairs entertainment room. I would like to play music, rip new music and DVD's to the drive, and be able to upgrade the unit with relative ease.

I like the ease of use with the HP Mediashare platforms, but the pricing of the WD My Book Mirror Edition is also appealing. Any thoughts on these products, or on another product that allows mass storage with the RAID 5 option?

Also, is there any drawback to setting up the drive as a RAID 5, if I want the data protection of RAID 1 with the speed of RAID 0? Also, is there any benefit to spanning, if you're looking to protect data as well?

I'm a real newbie to this, so pardon me if I'm not using the right lingo.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hello,

I have never used either, but I have had my fair share of HP and WD products. I found HP's build quality to be superior to most.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users