Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dark Display after re-assembly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 desotoisp

desotoisp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

Greetings!

HP pavilion laptop w/Vista Home edition.

I replaced the heat sink & fan. After assembly the screen is very hard to see. I have it plugged into the power, rebooted it that way, hit the Fn F8 , updated the video drivers and still cannot see bright enough to read the screen.

It works fine when plugged into a different monitor. When plugged into a different monitor & I the the duel screen adjustments, it shows one of the screens at 8 resolution, the other at 32. If I change the other to 32, when I hit save, it resorts back to 8.

I suspected a connection issue & disassembled & reassembled the unit & still same issue.

In the intel display trouble shooting on the computer, in the advanced, the "change settings" option is not lit up.

Could it be a bios issue with one monitor working (external) and the laptop monitor not clear, or does it sound more like a connection issue between the laptop & display?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

Sounds like the back light is not connected properly. Or the brightness is turned all the way down. If you did not change any software settings and only replaced the Heatsink and fan assembly then I would suspect a connection problem and not a software one. Unless the bios reverted to default setings.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 desotoisp

desotoisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I updated the bios, still the same. Im thinking there may be breakage in the wire during reassembly. Think that would make it go out completely or just be very dim, as the case is?

Thankr

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

If there is a break in the wire to the back light it will cause the exact symptoms you are experiencing. You can try taking the panel apart. Disassemble the laptop and remove the the LCD lid. There are most likely rubber stoppers on the top two corners, under these there are usually two screws remove these and gently pry the cover going slowly around the edges until the outer cover is free. There will be wires running to the LCD. Trace these back to the Plug and make sure there are no kinks in the wires. Check the plug for any loose wires or contacts that may have slid out. Also check the plug receptacle on the motherboard and make sure there are no bent/missing pins. Please list the make and FULL model number of the laptop. So I can check and see if there are any other tricks for taking apart the LCD.

Chad Mockensturm 

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 desotoisp

desotoisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

HP Pavilian dv6701us

I went to the bios settings & something isnt right. All of the options are not available. The menu across the top is not there. I cannot migrate at all. I can hit F9 & F10 only. It was that way prior to the flash I believe. I know that I could not see the entire screen. I thought it was because the monitor I was using was too old or too small. I switched monitors to see the whole screen & still the same.

#6 desotoisp

desotoisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

FOUND IT!!

Thanks for the help!

There was a connection unplugged that went to the backlight as you said. Im not sure what that has to do with the bios, but when I get it all put back together...again, Ill look at the bios again.

Thank you

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

Great :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm