Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Address 0.0.0.0 after power outage

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mavieen

mavieen

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

For starters I know next to nothing about computers, so please be really, really, really remedial with any responses and patient with me. :thumbsup: Thanks in advance to any helpers out there!

About six weeks ago we lost out electricity for about 20 minutes. It went off suddenly, came back on suddenly... Our old desktop, running on Windows XP, was on when power went out. I turned it back on after the power returned. I tried to get online to check my email and couldn't get online. I checked the connections, things seemed fine. I check on our laptops (an old iBook G4 and a newish MacBook) and both were (and still are) able to connect (wireless connection though a Netgear router). The desktop is plugged into the router then into the modem, I believe (whatever the arrangement, it was working fine until the power outage).

Anyway after hours of frustrating internet searches trying to get things back in order, I'm at a complete loss. The IP address and subnet mask say 0.0.0.0 and the address type reads "Invalid IP Address." I tried to repair the connection. No dice. The connection itself reads "Acquiring network address."

What I've done:

* I've disabled the firewall
* I did some command prompts such as netsh winsock reset catalog and perhaps others (today is the first day i've messed with it in weeks) and rebooted the computer after them
* I did this command prompt ipconfig/all

After the ipconfig/all prompt it read:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name: YOUR-E482F5E120
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node type: Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled: Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Cisco Systems VPN Adapter
Physical Address: 00-05-9A-3C-78-00
Dchp Enabled: No
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:

I did more digging around and figured out I could make it auto assign an IP. I went to my connection and went to the properties menu down to the Internet Protocol TCP/IP option and set it to obtain the IP address and DNS server automatically. The connection said connected, but I could not get online. The other computers hooked up wirelessly could still get online.

Running ipconfig/all again after I did the auto assign thing I got this:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name: YOUR-E482F5E120
Primary Dns Suffix:
IP Routing Enabled: Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Cisco Systems VPN Adapter
Physical Address: 00-05-9A-3C-78-00
Dchp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.18.31
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

I restarted the computer and everything (IP and subnet mask, etc) went back to 0.0.0.0 again.

I'm so stinking frustrated! We need this PC to work -- to get online and we can't figure out what happened and why our other computers work through the router connection.

Edited by mavieen, 01 June 2009 - 05:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

It could be the modem went out when the power came back on. Have you called your ISP?

#3 mavieen

mavieen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

It could be the modem went out when the power came back on. Have you called your ISP?

Wouldn't that make the other computers in the house unable to access the internet? Both mac laptops can still access the internet just fine through the same modem-router connection.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

I was thinking that since the other ones are connecting through a wireless connection they were not using the modem, but maybe I am wrong about that.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

<<Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.18.31>>

That indicates that DHCP did not set up properly on the one system.

Make sure that it is enabled, then try rebooting the system that cannot connect.

If a reboot doesn't do it, you might just momentarily disconnect the modem power cord (about 3 seconds) and that will recycle the modem, the router, etc. and hopefully get things as they should be.

Louis

FWIW: After a power outage, it could be the NIC. In which case, I would just remove the drivers (because they may be damaged) and reinstall the NIC.

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2009 - 05:27 PM.

#6 mavieen

mavieen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

How does one enable the DHCP? Like I said, I know nothing about computers. I also don't know what "NIC" means (I'm assuming something about the network card?) or how to reinstall whatever that is...

I've tried disconnecting the modem and router repeatedly when it first happened and it didn't do anything.

#7 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

I live here in Tampa Fl and my power goes out many times in a year. I have found that I can just cut power off,>wait
thirty seconds>turn it back on and wait another thirty seconds>turn on the PC and viola the IP is reset. Never fails.

#8 mavieen

mavieen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

I've already tried that several times and it hasn't worked. Thanks anyway.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

Are the other computers using a wireless connection or are they connecting through the modem? Have you called your ISP?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

You can use Google to look up terms like NIC :thumbsup:.

Enabling DHCP, http://support.myfishonline.net/win_xp/lan_dhcp_xp.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users