Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random USB Tones

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hawg

Hawg

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

He everyone,

I've had two pc's that I've worked on in the last three months that emit usb insert/removal tones when I haven't inserted or removed anything.

Has anyone else seen this and know why this would happen?

Windows XP, SP3
HP Pavilion
Combo fixed, virus free according to full scans with AVG and Counterspy. Weird behavior!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

Could be something stuck in the USB drive. If it gets annoying and doesn't degrade performance, just turn off the sound for USB drives.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

I looked around about this and slept on it!

The most plausible thing I read where someone had this problem was a USB mouse, that when moved around in a certain way, experienced some kind of loose connection that when moved in just the right way would disconnect/connect and generate the device disconnect/connect sound.

It seems far fetched, but makes some sense. Nothing gets put in the Event Log either for these things that might help track it down either!

Do you have a USB mouse, keyboard? Do you have some spares you could try temporarily? Can you unplug any USB devices and plug them in a couple times (on both ends of a printer) to freshen up the physical connections? What are your USB devices?

If you go to Control Panel, Sounds, you can play the connect and disconnect sounds and hear they are noticeably different. When you hear your sounds, do you first hear the disconnect sound and then the connect right after that? Do the sounds always come in pairs off disconnect/connect?

Are you moving your mouse/keyboard around when it happens?

I know it's a long shot.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users