Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My pc can not find boot device

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Murtaza Sharif

Murtaza Sharif

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

I was using Vista ultimate on Intel core 2 duo with 2 GB RAM on DG33FB mother board.
5 days ago, I was downloading some file from internet and left my computer on. When I came back my computer restarted with a message like "no boot device found" I tried restart the computer several times and at the end it successfully entered into the windows. I start taking backup of my data and when the backup was 30% completed, my hard drive stop spinning. And after that I came to know that my drive is dead. And I lost rest of my very expensive data.

Then I bought a new WD 1TB SATA2 hard drive and started using it. Now again some times I am receiving the same boot failure message "no boot device found" and when I restart my computer, it works fine. I am really afraid about it again, because I don't want to loose rest of my data. I have changed the power suply, power extension lead, hard drive and its data and power cables. I have fully updated McAfee virus scan enterprise 8.7.0i and vista ultimate including latest updates. Please help what could be the cause of the problem ? Could it be due to motherboard ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Check your date and time in the system tray Make sure they are correct. There could be 2 possible reasons this is happening. 1 the Cmos battery is dying (one indication is the wrong date and time) and rebooting the computer causes the Bios to re-detect the HDD and proceeds to boot from it. or 2 there is something wrong with the bios and its forgetting the settings. The bios stores the IO configuration for the Hardware (the HDD, The video card, Etc..) if the bios forgets where your HDD is it can't boot from it. There may be other possibilities but I am unaware of them at this moment.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users