Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

things i need toknow about the bios

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:36 AM

hey guys i just got a few questions that i didit under stand
i googled them but i did not understan what they ment
so hopefully you guys will know and what should i set them so my computer goes as fast as it can

fast programmed I/O modes ( set 4 in bios)
block mode (set ON)
write precompensation (set 0)

i aslo found 32 bit transfer mode
it was off and i know it can make the computer faster but only if the mb and hard drive supports it
so i turned it on and the computer is working fine so is it safe to leave it yer?

Edited by starcraftmaster, 01 June 2009 - 06:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:40 AM

Most of those can usually be left at default or disregarded.

PIO mode options are irrelevant to a correctly functioning modern drive. It was necessary in some circumstances to limit use of faster PIO modes if a drive did not implement all the fast PIO modes.

Block Mode would normally be set to ON, this may be the BIOS default.

Write Precomp applies to only the most ancient drives, and can be ignored, the drives ignore it.

If 32 bit transfer mode causes no problems it should be on - it's another setting made available to solve a possible compatibility problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

so i should set fast programmed I/O modes to 5 to make the computer faster (5 is the highest) but some drives may have probloms so i can try it and if it makes probloms i just put it back to 4 ?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

Worth reading
http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/pcinfo/h..._sg/bios_sg.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:32 AM

so i should set fast programmed I/O modes to 5 to make the computer faster

No, if the system is working correctly, programmed I/O is not being used, so the setting will have no effect at all. PIO is now only used as a fall-back if DMA mode cannot be sustained for some reason (commonly excessive read errors). The option to limit the PIO mode was needed for some older drives that did not have all the PIO modes. If the drive dropped back to PIO and BIOS allowed the controller to use a mode faster than the drive could support, the system would probably crash.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users