Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to switch hard drives?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ovey

ovey

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:51 AM

Requesting help, but first some background.

I have an HP desktop. I've backed-up all my data and wish to return the pc to factory settings. My existing drive has a partition with all of the PC System Recovery tools and applications, but I'm getting fatal system errors when I attempt the system restore app. I've created a recovery tools CD, but that doesn't work either. I believe it may be due to some hard disk errors, so I've purchased a new one.

Question:
How do I transfer the recovery partition to the new drive? Do I set new drive up as an external then partition it and then copy files? What then? Basically, can anyone lay out the steps I need to take to transfer partitioned recovery files onto new drive, then actually do a system restore on new drive to factory settings along with the OS and other applications? Do I even need to xfer the files or can I "restore" the new drive from the old one's partition?

Thank you for your assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

You are between a rock and a hard place. Your old HD is bad, but your recovery partition is on that bad HD. Your recovery partition likely has errors as well so using it to restore anything is likely futile. Recovery partitions aren't made to recover from hardware errors.

Install your new hard drive and boot from your recovery CD. If by chance it boots and installs correctly, count yourself very lucky. Usually a restore CD will partition your new HD and create a partition the same size as the original, sometimes you get to pick your own partition size, anyway it is pretty much an automatic operation.

In the event the restore CDs don't work, find an OEM copy of your OS (HP specific) and do a clean install. I could tell you an easy place to find an OS CD, but this forum somtimes frowns upon quasi-legal methods. Get the drivers from HP and burn them to CD so you have them to complete setup.

Just to note, using the last method you won't have all of the preinstalled apps that would have been installed with the "recovery" partition/CDs. One man's preinstalled apps are another man's garbage.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

You can also request a new set of recovery cds from HP.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users