Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File copy and pointer are extreamly slow

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JeffAST

JeffAST

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:35 PM

I try to copy a 700mb file and it says 447 days remaining and the pointer crawls in explorer and on the desktop. It has something to do with my video driver, I re-installed Windows XP then the video driver and I had all sorts of problems then it eventually worked but now theres all these problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:52 AM

Few questions for you:
1.Where are you copying the filles to?
2.How much RAM do you have on your PC?
3.What's your Hard Drive RPM?

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 JeffAST

JeffAST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:12 AM

I'm trying to copy the files to be burned to a cd. 512mb RAM, idk about hard drive RPM. I've had this computer for 4 years and it just happenend when I re-installed and upgraded to Windows XP Pro SP3 from (Win XP home SP2). I had all kinds of problems with installing my video driver i don't know what that has to do with copying files and pointer speed though. I tried defrag, scan disk, regcure, virus scanners, etc, i've had this problem for 2 weeks and dunno what to do.

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hi! :thumbsup:

I've heard the SP3 has a lot of compatibility issues with a number of different hardware components (HD Audio is one of them). I'm tempted to recommend that you uninstall SP3, reinstall SP2, and then, through the windows update feature, install all critical security updates.

You RAM could also play a small role in it, although for Windows XP, 512 MB should be just fine.

As for the graphics drivers, what graphics card are you using?

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 JeffAST

JeffAST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:42 AM

The graphics card is a Nvida Geforce MX 4000.

I don't know what this problem could be its saying 3 days 18 hours to copy a 300mb file so i leave it on for like 20 minutes and it just sits there copying, i don't know what to do.

#6 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Are you using any specific application to burn the files to a CD? Or are you just using Windows?

unite_blue.png

#7 JeffAST

JeffAST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

no I'm not using any application its all happening in explorer.

#8 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

I'd recommend either:
1.Using an application to burn the files, and see if that works
2.Uninstall SP3 and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then you know how to start off fixing your problem :thumbsup:

unite_blue.png

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

<<I re-installed Windows XP then the video driver and I had all sorts of problems...>>

It might be helpful to know what sorts of problems you think you had, compared to the ones you have now.

Why reinstall Windows XP...what was wrong that you thought that was the solution?

System manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

#10 JeffAST

JeffAST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

I deleted NTDLR from a HiHackThis scan, then computer would not boot so i had to run the recovery console and upgrade Windows XP. The problems I encountered was with the video card driver not installing and the computer not booting and hanging on the welcome screen until i had to restart in safe mode. The computer is a HP Pavilion 04.

Edited by JeffAST, 01 June 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

I guess that I would try running chkdsk /r on the boot partition (Start/Run...type chkdsk /r with space between the k and the /...and then hit Enter/OK).

Type Y to onscreen query, hit Enter/OK...reboot the system and let it run to completion. System will reboot when the command has completed.

Louis

#12 JeffAST

JeffAST
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:20 PM

hamluis: I've tried defrag and chkdsk many times and I noticed temporary reduction in problems.

Aommaster: I was able to burn cd's with Nero 7.0, it took about 30 minutes to install it from a setup file. But in the application it copies data and burns everything fast. I think I gotta clean install Windows XP pro sp2 cause I'm pretty sure i have Win XP home, Sp1, Sp2, Sp3 and Win XP pro all installed with nothing listed in Add Remove Programs in control panel with windows files taking up 30gb instead of around 15gb so it must be some kind of file system error.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:13 AM

Then...it might be time for a check of the hard drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If it's an NTFS file system problem...it would seem that you would have received an error message about such.

Have you checked for errors noted in Event Viewer?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users