Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Able to Run Sims 2?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snipersgethead

snipersgethead

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

I really want to play Sims 2, at a smooth rate so I don't really mind the quality, just performance. I doubt I will be able to run Sims 3 but can someone inform me if I can? I would use Sys Req Lab but I've been told many times that is unreliable at times.

This is just the hardware for my laptop, I'll post the info of the hardware on my desktop later. If you need me to post some other hardware then please inform me of it.

CPU: Intel Celeron M CPU 420

CPU Speed: 1.60 GHz

System RAM: 894 MB

Video Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M

Also are there any tips on making the game run smoothly even with the right hardware? I know I should exit out of all programs (Except Anti-Virus). I killed some processes I know that don't need to be running in task manager also.

Here's the info for my desktop:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU

CPU Speed: 1.69 GHz

System RAM: 894 MB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

My desktop feels really sluggish though..I don't have THAT many processes running. I installed a new video card, it works but sometimes when I boot up it stays on a black screen before coming up to the welcome screen and I have to reboot sometimes several times to get it working. Also I have 3 different hard drives on it, all connected by an IDE cable. I really don't know what's the problem. On the local hard drive (C:/) I have 15 GB out of 30 GB free space, sounds like plenty to me. My desktop is pretty clean of programs too. I have no idea what the problem is. It's not a virus either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

You'll definitely be able to run sims 2 on your desktop, it will probably be a bit sluggish though. I can't guarantee it will run on your laptop, but it will run better on your desktop.

Have you defragged your hard drives lately? Also, how is your boot order set in the BIOS? You should have the hard drive with your installation of windows set to boot before the other hard drives.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:22 PM

Go to Can You Run It? to test.

#4 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:34 PM

Thank you for the responses and input. It runs particularly fine on my laptop as I just tried it now. I kind of don't want to play it on my desktop because the fans make wayy too much noise now, to the point where it's severely irritating (Even if I have no programs running at all). I just defragged my dekstop but not my laptop yet, will do that this week. I'm not sure if my local HDD is on the highest priority in the boot order but I'll check soon.

Thank you again.

#5 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

How'd the defrags go? They should have cleared things up a bit for you, but if you're experiencing high fan speeds, that's probably speaking to the fact that you're operating at the top of your processing and graphics processing capabilities.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#6 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

Sims 2 was still sluggish for me with these specs:

Intel Dual Core 2.8Ghz
2GB Ram
512mb ATi Graphics with Pixel Shader 2.0 support

even tried 3GB ram upgrade and it was still sluggish.

Since the sims 3 came out i got it and put it on and its sluggish. I find I keep getting this slight pause every 30 seconds during game play and it drives me nuts.

Sims 2 (and even Sims 3) on a Mac runs much better with these specs:

iMac (June 2008)
Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz
4GB Ram
256 ATi Pro Grpahics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users