Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

messed up my personal.xls workbook

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seddes

seddes

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:49 AM

running Excel 2002.
had my Personal.XLS workbook 'unhid'
big mistake.
forgot to open a new blank book before entering new data,
saved the Personal.XLS with a new name ( Kitt Trinket Bag.XLS).
Now that new workbook seems to be tied into the Excel start menu.
If I try to delete that new workbook, macros I had put in place before the oops don't want to run. Say they can't find folder Kitt trinket bag.XLS
When I do run macros, wraning message pops up, about macros being in the Kitt Trinket Bag.XLS workbook, and do I want to enable them.

Any sugestion as to how to un do this? Short of redoing all the macros I had running before the mistake?
susan

learning just as fast as I can; and not doing too bad for an old broad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:10 AM

Happens to me every time we get an upgrade of sorts. It all gets confused :thumbsup: .

Go into Documents and Settings and under your name is \xlstart (unless your default was elsewhere).
If not sure where it was, go into Excel and check under Tools/Options where the startup folder it. If It's blank, then it's most likely in Documents and Settings.
Therein you will likely find Kitt Trinket Bag.xls
Copy it in place and call it PERSONAL.XLS
MOVE Kitt... somewhere else but don't tell excel.
Run Excel and in Tools/Options tell it where Personal is.
It should be the only startup xls in your \xlstart directory.

The worst scenario is that you may have to redirect the macros again from the Macros menu to point to wherever the now new Personal is. You don't have to copy them and in fact that may well make things worse, because then Excel will think there are conflicting macros.

Good luck. You'll get there. It can be cleaned up, just takes a little doing and care :flowers:

#3 seddes

seddes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:39 PM

Happens to me every time we get an upgrade of sorts. It all gets confused  :thumbsup: .

Go into Documents and Settings and under your name is \xlstart (unless your default was elsewhere).
If not sure where it was, go into Excel and check under Tools/Options where the startup folder it. If It's blank, then it's most likely in Documents and Settings.
Therein you will likely find Kitt Trinket Bag.xls
Copy it in place and call it PERSONAL.XLS
MOVE Kitt... somewhere else but don't tell excel.
Run Excel and in Tools/Options tell it where Personal is.
It should be the only startup xls in your \xlstart directory.

The worst scenario is that you may have to redirect the macros again from the Macros menu to point to wherever the now new Personal is. You don't have to copy them and in fact that may well make things worse, because then Excel will think there are conflicting macros.

Good luck. You'll get there. It can be cleaned up, just takes a little doing and care  :flowers:

Tried your suggestion: only thing in xlstart was PERSONAL.XLS
maybe because it was the result of my stupidity, not because of an upgrade?
Anyways, since I really didn't want to compound the error by messing with the working Personal.XLS file, I did a 'workaround'.
Went into VBA, copied the modules that I needed. pasted them to notepad.
THen deleted the Kitt Trinket Bag.XLS file.
went back into excel/VBA and pasted the module info into a new module, with a slightly different name for the macro.
deleted the old macro files.
had to point the macro buttons on my toolbar to the new macro name, but "VOILA" they now work just fine without Kitt.
And I am now keeping PERSONAL.XLS HIDDEN unless I need to do some macro editing.
Thank heavens I only had 4 macros that I really wanted to keep.
Live and learn, right?

Edited by seddes, 30 June 2005 - 01:40 PM.

susan

learning just as fast as I can; and not doing too bad for an old broad

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:02 PM

had to point the macro buttons on my toolbar to the new macro name, but "VOILA" they now work just fine without Kitt.
And I am now keeping PERSONAL.XLS HIDDEN unless I need to do some macro editing.
Thank heavens I only had 4 macros that I really wanted to keep.
Live and learn, right?

Yup :thumbsup:
I'm glad to see you've sorted it out.
I have 11 buttons and additional 8 items under menus - redirecting all that is no fun but I had to do it several times in the past when things got messed up by upgrades and transfers of locations beyond my control :flowers:

I sometimes disconnect Personal and only reconnect it when I need it. Clicking one of the buttons I built, loads Personal rightaway, so long as the link is not broken. That's a nice feature for me.

BTW in VBA you can actually export the modules using the file menu and import them back into the new book. It's similar to the notepad really, except preserves your module names and properties. Keep this one in your bag of tricks for the next time you have an opportunity :trumpet: to repeat all this. Don't worry, it will come.

This thread can be closed, right? I don't know who makes that decision here or how it's done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users