Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Boot -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

I am fixing a friends laptop that is running Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium. The Laptop will not boot into Windows and it tries to self repair, but without any success. It say's there is a hard disk error - System 32/system/config/default. followed by BSOD.

His computer didn't come with a Vista reinstallation CD. This is my plan.

1. to create a recovery Vista CD and try and repair.

2. Back up all his Documents using a Bootable disk, then reinstall the operating system.

3. Use the UBCD4Win and use registry restore(not sure exactly how this works)

Are these all viable options and is there something else I can try as well. Appreciate the feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

Sounds right, but I don't know about the last part.

#3 JamesMuch

JamesMuch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

how far into the boot do you get? (Bios Splash screen, Windows Logo, ect)

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

It loads up and just tried to do the self repair and doesn't work. I have tried everything. Repair using the Vista CD. The thing that I have not been able to do is back up the data, docs through a Bootable CD (Acronis, Ghost etc). it gets some of the data, docs backed up and then just stops before it finishes. . There must be a way to import the Reg back file from a clean Vista computer and transfer it into this one. Any ideas on the recovering and backing up. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users