Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected to internet, but cannot use it

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 marjoseph

marjoseph

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

I have a Dell Dimension E521 with XP and can't connect to the internet.

The computer is connected to cable internet. The connection goes from the cable modem to a wireless D-Link Router to the Computer. The computer connects to the router via cables.

Specifically, the computer says it is connected to the internet but I cannot get any programs to connect to the internet. The wireless router still works for laptops that connect wirelessly.

I have tried switching cables, switching router ports, connecting directly to the cable modem, and I installed a wireless USB adapter. The wireless adapter did the same thing, it said the comp was connected to the network but still no internet access.

I also ran an AVG full computer scan in safe mode and detected nothing.

I am looking for help.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

When you say "internet" do you mean your home Network?

If you networking icon is working (ie no red X) that means you are connected to your Network.

A router separates your network from the outside internet (the modem). You could disconnect the modem and still use your network, since it is possible to have a network running without an outside internet connection.

Do you have the CD that came with your router? its a good place to start troubleshooting. You can also try to look for the Reset button on your router. Most normally need a pen or a toothpick to press the reset button, since an accidental press could reset the whole router.

How many ethernet ports are on the router? If you have several, and you are only using one computer, your router "sees" the network as only haveing One Computer.

Also try to connect the comptuer directly to the modem. If you get an outside internet connection, then its a good chance your router settings are not set correctly.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 31 May 2009 - 10:38 PM.

#3 Geneva

Geneva

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

go to your command window

Start>run>cmd
type ipconfig /all
if connected your router's ip address should show up. The /all will show both wireless adapters and ethernet adapters.
Next ping your router's address
Then do a netstat -an
Had a friend with same problem and he was connecting to net wireless through neighbors wireless gateway and his modem was dead.

Also try unplugging router and modem for 60 seconds and let them reboot.

Open the routers setup page. Observe the client list. You should have a MAC address from each adapter in the computer.

Since this is a Dell, the adapter is probably a Broadcom. If so in control panel you should find Broadcom control suite which will test the adapter. Also by opening network connections properties a bunch of stuff can be configured like highlighting tcp and going into advanced>WINS and disableing netbios.

Finally check your antivirus software. The firewall could be set to BLOCK internet traffic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users