Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64 bit worth it?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_Irwin

Steve_Irwin

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

My specs are:
2.8 ghz Phenom II 920 X4 (OC'd to 3.6 ghz)
4 gigs DDR2 ram
ATI Sapphire Radeon 4830 512 mb 256 bit

I'm running 64 bit Vista Ultimate, and I was thinking of switching back to 32 bit Vista or XP. My question is would there be a huge performance gap as the 32 bit Vista/XP only detects 3.25 gigs of ram.

I'm mainly switching back for programming reasons (Dev++ and Java SDK doesn't work on 64 bit, or at least for me) But I am also thinking of playing a few games.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

Lack of Dev C++ was a real bummer for me when I switched to x64. Most games require .5 - 1 gb or ram, so you should be fine. Go to Can You Run It? to test your games.

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

If I was in your shoes I'd probably set it up as dual boot with XP. If you are never going to upgrade the ram then 32 bit Vista will probably run faster for 32 bit apps since you won't be using WOW.

I'm not familiar with the programming tools you mention. I know VC++ 6 is very finicky and insists on putting stuff on C: drive even if you install it on another driver letter. So if you do go with a boot manager you may want to leave all your partitions visible to each other. I've had no problems putting XP and Vista or W7 on the same drive and dual booting. Then again, you need one or the other product disk to fix up the boot after installing XP. (google "ntldr missing or corrupt" error msg to see how to fix it.)

I'd say the little bit of ram doesn't matter. The only thing is you may want 64 bit if you think you might put like 6 or 8 GB ram on the system.

I'm running Vista64 SP1 on a quad core with 8 GB ram and it's very smooth.

Edited by MilesAhead, 31 May 2009 - 05:27 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#4 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

If you’re thinking of maybe bumping up your RAM, then going with a 64-bit OS is a must. So, basically if you think you’re headed in that direction, then you might want to get ahead of the game and get the OS (if not at least to spread out your purchases).

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users