Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem not working right internet very slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

I built my computer a while back and the modems I put in it have never worked right. This is my third modem and still its slow,gives me errors and takes forever to dial up.

It says its connected at 49.2 but I did a bandwidth test at Cnet and it said I had 16.2!!
I do not know what to do. I have tried just about everything.

Its not the phone line because my laptop connects fast and fine through the same jack. Its not on a splitter.

It gives out error after error. The main error I get is error 678. I also get 718 and 777.

I really need this computer to work on the internet and I do not want to take it to someone to get it fixed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:36 PM

Hi CGM3.

According to this list of modem errors at ModemSite.com the problem is not your computer. Each of these errors indicate the problem is on the ISP end.

What type of modem are you currently using? Does your ISP support the same protocols as your modem (like V.92)?

It says its connected at 49.2 but I did a bandwidth test at Cnet and it said I had 16.2!!

Don't put a whole lot of faith in those tests. I always do at least three on different sites. DSLReports.com has about 200 test sites on that page. Try to pick a few that are close to you to avoid having the results clouded by general internet traffic.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Holden

Holden

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:01 PM

Is that all you get w/ the errors is those numbers? I'm no expert, but first and foremost you should give the specs of your computer. Of course search your computer's website for clues about conflicts/problems specific to your problem.

Your individual Internet settings might make a difference... page transitions..etc.
When I want a little surfing speed I turn off all the media stuff pics, videos etc. Unfortunately, more and more sites are geared for broadband and don't take into consideration us poor modem users. Remember the old days when Home pages included the option to view the site in a low-band way? Now we got all this frickin' Flash bleep and I dunno how to turn that off.. uninstall Flash?

Of course there's always the possibility you have a virus or spyware/adware trying to suck up your speed. You said you tried everything, but I don't know what that does not include.

BTW: Look into the background programs sucking away your speed. I hate msn/aol all the "user friendly" ISP/browsers, but it's all we have at work, so of course the Messenger starts to come-up and then when it does it won't quit... so I just renamed the Messenger folders and it can't be found anymore.. haha.
I know it's the answer you were hoping for, but until you find the answer or if you don't try some of this stuff.

I went to a technical college and we studied PC hardware and back in those days which slot the card was in made a difference in speed. We were always told to put the modem in the slot closest to the proc. But these days... who knows?

Good luck.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:09 PM

Now we got all this frickin' Flash bleep and I dunno how to turn that off.. uninstall Flash?

How to remove Flash Player from your computer.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:31 PM

I ran a couple of tests they were both about the same speed. Its a v.92 capable modem but im not using the v.92 it says it has to be set up. So you think its my ISP? I know its not spyware. I know its not background programs.

Im unsure if they support v.92 maybe I should ask. I use a mach 2000 modem I got at office max.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

Ask your ISP whats going on. They can tell you the best settings and how to set up V.92. I'm pretty sure thats the latest technology. At any rate, it should match what your ISP has for best performance.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:28 PM

I'd like to point out that your connection speed has little to do with your download speed. If you want to see what you can really download at, you need a program that will download more than one stream at a time. I've used a binary (image) downloader that will use all the bandwidth I have and maybe a little more. But with only one stream running it's about a third of the total. Unfortunately, it's a pay program for downloading from newsgroups. But don't be concerned - your speed doesn't sound all that bad for dialup. Much of the problem with dialup is that the phone company only has to give you voice quality bandwidth, and they'll tell you so. Out in the country, I've seen people's computers downloading at about 1 k. Pathetic.

I have pretty good speed on dialup here, and downloads are usually about 7 to 15k. (Most of the time I use cable and am at 1 megabit per second.)

#8 cnote357

cnote357

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:42 PM

is this a computer you built or upgraded and if you upgraded it did it ever connect ot the Internet? There are several reasons why you are having problems but first thing is first. Also do your modem ever sound like it is dialing?

Charles Brantley

www.xxxxxxx.biz

Email address removed for your protection.

(reference to site also removed as it refers to a business site. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 29 June 2005 - 11:00 PM.

#9 cnote357

cnote357

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

Also make sure that you have installed your modem fully in the pci slots try make sure your computer also recognize your modem

Charles Brantley

Edited by jgweed, 29 June 2005 - 11:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users